Parking rod/ valve body install problems: PLEASE HELP

SuperiorRam

So it's not the first time I've installed a vb on a 727 or rh.
but this mutha fukka will not go back in.
its been countless hours now, with this and that, tig wire, screw drivers, engaging the park gear putting pressure on the drive shaft to "park" it to slide the rod in but no luck.
What is the damn secret I'm missing here
Please please help

Do you have/have access to the hockey stick shaped tool that is used to reinstall the "e" clip for the parking rod? I installed a valve body in an rh on a bench without it, and it was considerably more difficult than when I installed the valve body in the rh in my 12v while everything was still in the truck.

Edit: after re-reading your post I think I may have misunderstood your exact problem... Apologies if I did.

Last edited:
No hockey stick however the thought did cross my mind " do I really NEED park?"

I should note this is in the truck, overhead layin on the floor cause it was supposed to be a "quick" second gear apply leaver change out

My method has been to keep the vb in park, correct? It's been a good long time since the last one

It's been at least a couple years since I did one, so my memory isn't the best, but I think the valve body should be in the neutral position. Hopefully someone who is sure will see this. When I did the swap in the truck the parking rod had enough movement in it to be manipulated into the valve body itself. It took me a bit of wiggling to get it in.

Install park rod in trans. Put vb in L1 and install vb while lining up park rod in to rooster comb. Reinstall e clip. Torque vb to 100 inch lbs.

Just pull the rod off the VB, shove it in and fight the e clip and be done.

Is there another method of swapping lever without pulling converter i an unaware of?

I'll try that after work tomorrow
So the rod goes to the out side of the case or inner side?

I just put pressure on the park rod while rocking the output shaft back and forth.

I just put pressure on the park rod while rocking the output shaft back and forth.

Yep tried that for sure. I'll pull the rod not that I wanna fight the little Jesus clip either. If this thing keeps being a ***** I might just burn it to the ground

I had to pull the valve body several times on the last 2 trannys I did and it does suck Eric. After I got mad enough I just jammed it in. I tried putting the rod in then connecting the valve body with the clip but I had a harder time that way.

Oh I finally got it yesterday the tranny is hurt a bit but she still roast through third gear too bad Mickey Thompsons don't smoke or lay dark rubber

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joT92aT_gpU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joT92aT_gpU[/ame]

Back