PDR 35 vs HTBG

12v Ford

I'm doing a comparison of the two turbos. I'm thinking of upgrading to the HTBG but I don't want slower spool up.

So far I have this:

pdr hx35/mod 14cm wastegated 58/60wheels 600cfm??

HTBG 12cm wastegated 57/65 wheels cfm???? Better wastegates for twins

Has anyone ran both of these turbos? Which one spools up faster? My altitude is 6000', but I drive anywhere from 4000' to 10,000'. Truck is a hauler truck only, not for racing or sled pulling. Heaviest load I would ever haul is a 310 backhoe, but mostly haul hay, cattle, and horses.

Also thinking of going from the bht3b to an s400 because the piping would work better in the Ford with the opposite flow. What s400 is the same as the 3b/26? I don't want slower spool from the s400 or much higher cost or I won't do it. Seems like the common s400 is a 75 comp wheel and 1.32 a/r exh. housing. How does a 1.32 a/r compare to a 26cm??

Thanks or any advice.

Clayton

get the HTBG!!!!!! the PDR-35 was decent back in the day, but it's a dog now compared to the modern S300 variants

I would guess the S300G will spool better than the PDR-35 and is a much stronger turbo than the old 35 and probably a few hundred dollars cheaper!

I'm definately going to get the htbg.

What do you think about primary chargers?

I talked with northwest customs today about the hotpiping and I'm going to use them again.

A third gen turbo is a great choice as well. 04.5-early 07=He351cw
60mm compressor 60mm turbine, ultra fast spooling 9cm turbine housing, large 19mm wastegate that vents all 6 cylinders due to open flute housing.

499.2 HP on my rig, and I bought it used off ebay for 250 to my door. Since you have a motor transplant rig, you gotta make up piping anyway. The HE bolts right up, no issue, has a silencer ring for those long hauls, and is really tough.

Plus, if you use the cast elbow, you can add an exhaust brake off a third gen for cheap since DC made a great exhaust brake mounted in the 4" cast elbow.

I used to live and work construction in Utah. 4500-5000 valley floor, high passes to Park City 7000+ towing stone, skid steer, building materials. The HE351 is an excellent high elevation turbo. It spools quickly due to it's tight exhaust which helps keep egt's down because you control them before they become an issue.

Do what you want, but you ought to at least look into it as a cheap, dependable, and readily available option.

A third gen turbo will also give you some crazy drive pressures with that 9cm housing.

BB24, have you checked your drive pressures? I can't remember if you have or not.

why have the stocker/s400 MPI twins become famous and support up to 650 hp on the CR ?!

Yeah, I have checked drive pressure. If I remember right, DP was around 50psi when boost was around 38-40psi. From there, drive pressure got increasingly worse where I was seeing 65psi at 45psi boost.

When I was playing around with it, I noticed that DP was largely dependent on RPM where high R's=High Drive Pressure.

All that said, in the normal operating range, 5-35 psi boost, drive pressure is anywhere from boost+5 to boost+10 depending if you are over or under 2500 rpm. Boost+5 at rpm 2500 or less; Boost+10 at rpm 2500 or more and it gets really bad up around 3500 rpm.

I swear this turbo makes positive manifold pressure at idle.

why have the stocker/s400 MPI twins become famous and support up to 650 hp on the CR ?!
Better flowing head and variable timing are big advantages. And it's not a bad turbo, just not what I would consider for an after market replacement.
Yeah, I have checked drive pressure. If I remember right, DP was around 50psi when boost was around 38-40psi. From there, drive pressure got increasingly worse where I was seeing 65psi at 45psi boost.

When I was playing around with it, I noticed that DP was largely dependent on RPM where high R's=High Drive Pressure.

All that said, in the normal operating range, 5-35 psi boost, drive pressure is anywhere from boost+5 to boost+10 depending if you are over or under 2500 rpm. Boost+5 at rpm 2500 or less; Boost+10 at rpm 2500 or more and it gets really bad up around 3500 rpm.

I swear this turbo makes positive manifold pressure at idle.
What? 0.012 psi?

I bet just about any turbo would make some due to the fact that the turbine is spinning a little. Not a usable/beneficial amount. Should we start measuring atmospheric pressure to see how much that is helping feed air into our engines?

I was just surprised when I went to boost leak test this setup and all I had to do was turn on the motor and spray my soapy water on the connections.

When I tried this with the HX, it did not make enough pressure to find leaks at idle and I had to use an air chuck/4" rubber cap to test for leaks.

Also, I am not trying to say that the HE351 is the end all to turbos, it was cheap, added power, and was a fun project/experiment. I'm just like making cheap suggestions when all at 2500-3000 rpm peak HP is not needed as much as spool up.

That's cool. I'm just playing Devil's advocate and being a kill joy:D

Plus more discussion is never a bad thing.

Back