Perkins rebuild and Allison6sp swap

2wpuller

letting the smoke fly
I have gotten old and lazy Sold the RTO6610 eaton out of my 75 Ford and putting in a 1000 allison out of a 06 chevy.While everything is apart desided to see why the motor had soo much blowby had it for along time.A few guy's kept saying it was a head gasket.Time to pull it all down and find out.
Perky004.jpg

May08Perky007.jpg

114.jpg

116.jpg

Dale

Well it wasn't a head gasket.Have to pull it the rest of the way down.
117.jpg

122.jpg

glad I have a flatbed make for alot more storage and a workbench.
127.jpg

128.jpg

as you can see I don't have much of a garage
129.jpg

Dale

Got the motor out and toredown fornd the #5 piston had the top and 2nd rings broke.There was all my blowby.I orderd rod and main bearing from Perkins.They wanted way tomuch for the rings.I called Hasting told the tec.lady all the ring messurments she told me that they don't have keystone rings that I would have to michine the top grove out for staight cut ring and put 2compresson rings on the top one.$214.00 and 2days I had the rings in hand.It took 6weeks to get the parts from Perkins and the stock rings were 4X of was hastings cost.I turn up a Mack for the guy that did the ring croves for me.
137.jpg

138.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

after the mechineing of the top grove
142.jpg

Comparing the Perkins and Cummins rods and piston.Left is Perkins right is 5.9 cummins
134.jpg

This Perkins piston
135.jpg

Cummins 5.9
136.jpg

The perkins is 3.937 bore 5"stroke
Dale

Thanks guy's got the short back together it went together real smooth.All the original bearings looked like new.I still put the new one's in didn't want to push my luck.
143.jpg

144.jpg

146.jpg

Took the head to the machine shop and Jay shimmed the valve springs from 45lb to 70lb they were a little light for a exhaust brake.evry thing looked good untill he put a vacum test on the valves exhaust did good but some of the intake weren't sealing.found out that 1/3 of the seat was ground wrong.Then he did a valve job before I was aloud to take it home monday I walked in the door at 1:30am Jay stayed late because he didn't want me to have to drive all the way back again.While it was apart I cleaned up the ports alittle.They didn't need alot as you can see.Intake valve is 1.74 don't remember what the exhaust is.Port matched the intake and exhaust manifolds to.
intake before
151.jpg

148.jpg

148.jpg

150.jpg

124.jpg

After smoothing out the ports I will definetly a heck of alt easier than a cummins head.the ehaust port are like a 24v head split runner.
158.jpg

159.jpg

intake manifold
160.jpg

ehaust port
153.jpg

in.port polished
157.jpg

156.jpg

155.jpg

I don't no what happend to the polished exhaust port pictures.sorry for the shakey hand taking the pics.I must be getting old that head is heavier than mu cummins head filled with block fill.
Dale

Last edited:
Just a couple of shot of the trany parts.
121.jpg

131.jpg

133.jpg

130.jpg

have the shifter for the allison mounted on the 75 colum it is out of a06 chevy Duramax.I'm going to make some kind of cover for it .
118.jpg

126.jpg

I for got to mention that the crank as no counter balance weights.
the balancer is 12 7/8 dia.

Dale

looks awesome..how are you doing the trans wiring?..i've been thinking of doing a allison 1000 behind one of my 6v53's. any internal mods to it or are you running it till it wears out.. is your 1000 from a gasser or diesel chevy? was the SAE bellhousing expensive?
Thanks, good work posting and keeping the thread going.. thats a lot of work too.
Thanks, again!!
Deo

The trany is a diesel one.It is out of a 06from behind a Duramax.Has a shiftkit from Goerend brothers.A freind of mine works for a Allison dealer did some other modifications to the front plate between the bellhousing and the trany body.Will be useing the 06 TCM and BCM and a Cat.TPS.MAXPF worked this out.I haven't fully made my mind up yet if I am going to make my own harness are by a stock one and strip what wires I don't need.
The bell housing was like $175.00 I think I got some other thing to.I didn't think that was to bad.I had all the rest of the parts like the SAE motor houseing and flywheel came with the Perkins Phaser.
Allison will not make a Stand olone TCM for the 6sp.1000ser.Because of liability reasons.
I'm going to box in the fram from the front radias arm bracket to were the frame starts to make the curve up under the bed.I want to someday put air rid in the front like the rear.Money is a little tight at the moment.laid off from my job for the winter till March first time for that long in 24 years.I for got to list all what has been done to the truck at the beginning of the thread.Will do that later.

Dale

Does anyone have a wiringharness for a 06chevy allison.while the motor is out I'm going to put some Dynamat sound deadning on the out side firewall also.I have it already on the inside.When I put the Vintage heater and A/C system inside.Made alot more room on the firewall in the engine conpartment the original ford stuff was in the way for the bigger twins.Made it look alot cleaner.

Dale

Dale that thing looks awesome great work! how much boost do you see on that twin setup and what are u running for headgasket?

I got it from perkins new this motor is certifide for hwy use.It was made for buses and motor homes.
it has a stock headgasket and 32 head bolts.It has seen 55lb of boost.Have never need that for towing.I was getting 25mpg with the 10sp od was .80.The speedo is wright on with radair and GPS.

Dale

Looks good Dale. I believe the first time I ever saw your truck was on Diesel Central about 10 years or so ago I guess. It's always been an eye catcher.

Looks good Dale. I believe the first time I ever saw your truck was on Diesel Central about 10 years or so ago I guess. It's always been an eye catcher.

That was a long timeago wasn't it.:doh:The good old day's
Need to find the old pictures of the first set of twinsand when I had the 372 Perkins in it.

Dale

Back