Pistons

jambbii

milk
So I had local machine shop balance my rotating assembly and they ruined my stock 24v pistons. Long story short I need to pick up new pistons. Is there any year that is better than other? Right now, standard bore and JL250hp injectors.

Thanks,

Josh

I was recommended to stay away from that CR piston design, becasue the top ring land is to close to the top of the piston, and its easier to stay with stock VP pistons so you don't need custom angle 24v injectors.

I was recommended to stay away from that CR piston design, becasue the top ring land is to close to the top of the piston, and its easier to stay with stock VP pistons so you don't need custom angle 24v injectors.

You're talking about the rings breaking from heat right?
I think the issue was with the rings not being gapped how a normal build would have gapped them. They were tighter to allow less blowby and work better for emissions. Then when they got hot, and expanded, they would/could crack.

That's how I understood it.

You're talking about the rings breaking from heat right?

Correct, I was told to stay away from those pistons just for that reason as it is a common issue. Either way, I currently have 06 pistons in my 24v. Had to get custom inj, and now that i'm switching back, these injectors are pretty much worthless because the angle is incorrect for stock pistons.

Just run vp injectors?? I don't see why you need custom injectors? The CR guys run their 143* injectors in these bowls when retrofitted so whats wrong with a ~153* vp injectors?? 10* really gonna make that big of a difference??

I think most of the ring breakage I have heard of was on stock motors. You don't hear alot of people breaking rings with these pistons on a rebuild with them. Most grab the late model CR pistons and do a little radius work on the bowl. Just depends on what your after I guess.

I thought you could get 145deg nozzles (12V style) for VP injectors and run them on CR heads with late CR pistons, all pretty easily and it worked really well?

I dont see why the spray angle would make all that much difference its not like your working with a small bowl like in a 12v application using marine injectors, then yes with a little bit of timing I have seen spray out of the bowl everytime, but a 24v with late model cr pistons even with alot of timing I dont think you are going to miss the bowl lol

I dont see why the spray angle would make all that much difference its not like your working with a small bowl like in a 12v application using marine injectors, then yes with a little bit of timing I have seen spray out of the bowl everytime, but a 24v with late model cr pistons even with alot of timing I dont think you are going to miss the bowl lol

It very well may have been un-needed, just heeding the advice of someone who knows way more than me on the subject :blahblah1:

Last edited:
RV275 pistons from Mumau.

RV pistons aren't anything special, even at 275 hp. Industrial 275 hp pistons are a different story.

On edit, let me rephrase that. RV's are better than stock Dodge, but not the best.

Last edited:
I dont see why the spray angle would make all that much difference its not like your working with a small bowl like in a 12v application using marine injectors.

The cone angle is not the issue, the problem lies with the radius of the bottom of the bowl.

What do u mean by the design of the bowl? What's the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back