Plagued by oil leaks

L6powered

Well the truck has been leaking oil since I bought it and had slowed some of it down just by doing the vlavle cover gaskets. Now I would like to reseal the whole motor to stop all the leaks. Is there anywhere I can buy a whole kit from. The mileage on the motor is unknown to me since it has a recon motor from cummins in 2001. I suppose it's up in the 200k area as the truck itself has 368k on it.

mine leaks like a frigging sieve (sp?) im in on this one too

Mine don't leak a drop with 150k plus on it, HMMMM...Just sayin...

Just sent snedge a pm. I'm sure he'll reply soon. This is going to be fun. I take it the easiest way is to pull the motor. Should I do the head gasket as well or just let it be. Maybe put new rings and bearings in it? For that part I would send it to a pro.

let us know what he says, or he could post in here :D

If it were me I would just go ahead and rebuild the whole thing your self. To replace the front cover gasgket you will have to pull the cam. To pull the cam, the rocker arms and push rod will have to come out so it would only be a few minutes and you can have the head off. If you have any general knowledge of internal engine tollerences, it isn't very hard to check everything with a few good bore mics/pins and calipers. If everything checks out ok, then reassembly with new bearings and rings can be done yourself.

yeah it only takes like what? couple beer job? nothin serious right? LOL

Dude you can't yank/tear down/rebuild/install an engine in a couple beers? Freaking slacker LOL

i put a 3600 southbend and a tranny in my truck in an hour.....by myself LOL i worked my SACK off

Na its nothing serious.... a few buddies over, couple CASES or 4 of beer, and maybe find one friend that has rebuilt a motor or 2 in there day. Anything is possible lol

it took me 3 hours to have a 7.3 stroker to go from pulling the truck in the shop to having the engine out on the floor.....i've pulled a few of those :D but yanking them out is the easy part

Last edited:
Back