Please Educate me!

morkable

Just Over Broke
Other than the normal smarty pants comments,, I would really like to learn more about this 6.0 that I have now... I am slowly learning, but every time I think I learn something 4 other things come up.

So I am hoping that you all can help me out a bit to understand

I am not looking to race this truck ( it is a long box dually crew cab after all) But I wouldnt mind a bit more power, espcially in the mid range (for passing on the highway) and I would really like some better fuel mileag, it isnt real great right now

The truck is basically stock, s&B Intake, 4 inch MBRP exhaust is the sum total of mods.

I do have a set of studs waiting to go in, and I am going to buy a egr delete. I was kinda set on a SCT tuner, but after some other reading I was doing last night, now I am thinking that maybe a PHP Gryphon might be a good alternative??? Also is it really a good thing to get the FICM programmed? Also is it worthwhile to get the higher voltage FICM?

The truck has about 90K miles on it, is getting the blue spring upgrade worth it, also the SPT (spelling? fix?

Oil cooler, antifreeze filter... all these things

Please help me out,,

For everyday driving, it's tough to beat Gearhead tunes. I run his 7.3 tunes, and they are by far the most refined tunes for the street. Great smoke control too.

Many 6.0 folks say that exhaust, intake and a tune are a great simple equation for a nice DD setup.

X2 on the Gearhead tunes with the SCT.

Might not be a bad idea to have the voltage checked on the FICM. When the voltage is low, the truck is hard to start in cold weather. Swamps handles the higher voltage FICM's btw.

Being in Canada, your gonna need all the starting power you can get...

SCT with custom tunes all the way. I do everything in my race tune and love it. Gearhead tunes have been my favorite so far.

All good advice so far,

Oil cooler when you do the studs and deletes.

Gearhead tunes instead of php on the sct platform.

Thanks folks! I really appreciate the help

Another question, is there problems with towing on higher tunes?

Just be mindful of the egts, it can also take its toll on the trans.

This.
A monitor such as an Edge CTS (read: this is not programmable for "tunes") is really great if you don't want traditional gauges. This can pull some codes etc too.

I'm in my race tune all the time unless I've got a load on the gooseneck.

Just watch egts and you'll be good to go.

Good,,, I do have a set of studs sitting here,, but for obvious reasons I dont want to just stick them in. I am hoping that it will hold till I build my shop and get a hoist,, lol.

And by the sounds of it, the consensus is Matt from Gearhead for the tunes? Not Innovatative?

Good,,, I do have a set of studs sitting here,, but for obvious reasons I dont want to just stick them in. I am hoping that it will hold till I build my shop and get a hoist,, lol.

And by the sounds of it, the consensus is Matt from Gearhead for the tunes? Not Innovatative?

For daily power, Gearhead forsure

Power wise Innovative and Gearhead are spot on. On my truck Gearhead runs 1/100th faster at the track, so....

Much better DD shifting from Gearhead. IMO

When you do the studs I would highly recommend updating the STC fitting in the HPOP (if it has not been done and it is the later motor) and also the rail plugs to the new style. The last two head stud jobs I have done the old style STC fitting was pushed so far off the HPOP that it was started to wear on the rear cover, glad I checked this before the truck started having hot start issues.

Back