Please help, 12v running hot

2141pete

Hell I dont know
Ok guys I am at teh end of the rope on this one. I reccentley swapped out my cam for a new 181/210 and my stock head for a mildly ported and O-ringed head from CSnyder. I went with a .020" head gasket from Snedge and nothing else changed. When started the truck warms up at a normal pace but keeps climbing past 190 to arond 210-215*. I checked my coolant system and there was some crap in there but it could have been there forever. I flushed it out for about an hour with the truck running and water pooring out the bottom of the radiator. I thought it was good but a few days later it starts again. I have a short commute to work, only a mile or so and I wouldn't really notice just making the daily trip. Today I changed the thermostat out for a brand new 180* factory replacement and the same thing happens. The head was steamed and fluxed when Chris set it up for me and I have never seen or heard of him doing a single person wrong so I don't really think it is the head. Jeff is the cummins Master so there is no doubt I have the correct gasket but I will double check with him in the morning to be positive. I had a talk with Tim Barber on the phone tonight and he said it sounds like a bad head or the wrong head gasket but I thought I would put it out here and see what you guys think?????? I am at the end of my damn rope with this thing. I would rather be doing final retorques and tuning to dyno at TS but I am stuck chasing this crap.

Sounds like you have possible culprits covered. See about that gasket then go from there.

its not pressurizing the coolant right? sounds like a gasket issue

Ok guys just to prove to myself that I'm not crazy. I realize this doesn't look that hot now but here is what happened tonight. I changed the Tstat to a 180* and warmed it up to operating tem in the driveway by turning the AC on high and bouncing the throttle from idle to 1500 RPM. It went right past 190* and straight to the middle between 190 and the next green mark like the 2nd pic. I left the house to go get some peak radiator flush and put it in. It will be spot on 190* one second and then between that and the next mark the 2nd. I tried to shoot a video but couldn't get a good one. It was doing this with the old Tstat but it would go from the middle where it is the hottest now all the way to the last green mark or a little past. I will drive it another day or so and flush it with water again to see if it helps. I am also going to the dealership to get a new water temp sender as I forgot I broke mine when I pulled the head off. It didn't break all the way it just cracked all the plastic away where the connector goes to the part that screws in the head. I just smeared black permatex all around it and forgot about it. I will try to get one tomorrow and rule that out before going any further.

IMG_20110501_210831.jpg

IMG_20110501_211425.jpg

Last edited:
its not pressurizing the coolant right? sounds like a gasket issue

When I got home I opend the radiator to check the level and there was a little pressure when I opened the cap bbut a very minimal amout and the Tstat had just opened and dropped it back to 190*

thats as hot as it gets or hotter

It was hotter before the Tstat change but now it is there or just a bit higher but if fluctuates alot and sweeps quicker than I think it should. That is what makes me want to try the temp sender.
Is the core of your radiator plugged with crap?

It did have a bunch of crap in it but I have flushed it about 10 times total and thought I had it all. It has a bottle of the local auto parts store miracle crap in it now so I will give it a day or two and see what happens.

whats the part number on the headgasket? Im leaning towards a temp sender issue.

whats the part number on the headgasket? Im leaning towards a temp sender issue.
Thanks chris I am thinking the same thing. I didn't mean anything bad towards you or Jeff at all. You guys have been way more than helpful and really taken care of me I just want to run down other things it could be. I will check the PN for the head gasket when I get to the shop in the morning but I am sure Jeff wouldn't get the wrong one out and I am almost positive I checked the PN's before I did all the work. I am really thinking sender just buy the way it is acting. I was more freaked out about how hot it was before that I just wanted to get the problem run down. Now that it is running at a temp I can drive it ands trouble shoot it will be easier. I did unplug the sender and plug it back in tonight before I left so that could be why the readings changed as well.

Chris knows more than me, but I was thinking temp sender as well.

Hopefully the dealership will have one tomorrow. Everywhere I have checked only brings one up that is way too small. Does anyone have a PN for the sender for when I get to dodge tomorrow?

Something else I didn't think to mention. The truck does have a gasser cluster but it seemed to work fine before.

The gasser cluster does read differently.

I thought I had heard that but it was brought back to my attention earlier. Hopfully I am just paranoid. It doesn't seem to run hot or anything. It doesn't smell hot or run funny it just reads hot as far as I know for now.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'd look at the temp sensor before going to far. I've got a mechanical water temp gauge in my truck, it'll hit 190 and drop back. With this t-stat I picked up about two years ago, it hits 190, then drops to 180 and stays there consistently. The dash gauge still reads real low even when its at 185, so I don't put too much faith in the dash gauge.

You could pick up a cheap mech gauge at Vato Zone and check it that way as well...

Back