Please Help Diagnose My Truck!

brockw08

12 too many valves...
So, about three months ago, I blew my head gasket. When it blew, it proceeded to fill my radiator with oil. After this, I went ahead and got the head fire-ringed and studded, as well as getting the radiator flushed. The truck has been running great, but today, I opened my hood to check my fluids, only to find that my radiator is, again, full of oil, as is my overflow tank! I don't see any way that the head gasket is blown again, considering I am only boosting 50'ish psi. These studs are supposed to hold over 80 psi, and I'm nowhere close to that. Could this be caused by something other than the head gasket blowing? What gives?:doh:

So, about three months ago, I blew my head gasket. When it blew, it proceeded to fill my radiator with oil. After this, I went ahead and got the head fire-ringed and studded, as well as getting the radiator flushed. The truck has been running great, but today, I opened my hood to check my fluids, only to find that my radiator is, again, full of oil, as is my overflow tank! I don't see any way that the head gasket is blown again, considering I am only boosting 50'ish psi. These studs are supposed to hold over 80 psi, and I'm nowhere close to that. Could this be caused by something other than the head gasket blowing? What gives?:doh:

I would flush the system again, we had a truck in that had the same problem and the oil residue took monthes to get cleaned out. We also had the radiator steamed and clean with dawn to try to get rid of the oil.

Jay

Head studs are great... O-rings are a great thing to try too, if their done right. I know a guy who's gasket blew 3 times, first with std bolts and stock head, second with studs and o-rings, replaced the o-rings, blew again, got the head redone by someone else and sold the truck. So I don't know if its holding now or not. Each time we pulled the head, it was obvious that it was the gasket blowing out and always at a different spot. Strange huh? So on that note could it be blown again? Yes! Who knows. You could also have a cracked block or head. We all hope not for your sake. chances are that it wasn't properly flushed. How much oil would you say is in the coolant?

flush it agine it takes a long time to get all the oil out of the cooling system. how much torque did you put on the studs? did you retorque them? sometimes it takes a lot to seat the fire rings.

If your oil level is going down enough to justify oil in the coolant it could very well be head gasket or oil cooler. You should take the advice of others and flush it again because it can be a real pain to get all the oil out of the system. Most of the time when oil is coming into the cooling system the cooling system will be overfull.
Good luck.

Go doing to your local radiator shop and get them to flush your cooling system. They have a chemical that they will flush through it and will Loosen all the oil in the system up to be allowed to what out. We do this with the 6.0 fords. And the place in town does an awsome job. We havent had any problem with oil still in the cooling system. They get about 95% of the oil out.

Drain the coolant from the system, refill with plain water and about a pint to a quart of Super Clean or Purple Power cleaner/degreaser. Drive the truck long enough to get it good and warm and let the cleaner work on the oil in the system. Drain again, refill with clean water and drive again long enough to get the thermostat to cycle good. Drain and repeat one more time then refill with fresh coolant.

You can also do the same thing with citric acid, 1/2lb to a gallon of water IIRC, dissolve in warm water and pour in. Just need to drive around a bit more, at least thirty minutes.

Back