Please HELP!!

02HO4X4

Banned
It seems my death wobble has returned. 4 years ago i took my truck to a chassis shop and they fabed a bracket and welded it to the front of my truck. I can text or email pics of tyhe bracket if needed. I have them on my phone. That seemed to fix my death wobble for a long time. This morning on my way to work i noticed my steering was crazy loose and when i hit that first bum on the highway the death wobble was back. When i got to work i looked at the bracket and it has a giant crack in the weld. My question for all of you is..... How is this fixed? Thank anyone that helps me out.

Would this product help my issue? Thanks for the help. Im lost!

Solid Steel Industries - Dodge Track Bar Replacement Bracket

This track bar retrofit kit will allow you to use a 2003 and up factory Dodge track bar on your '94 to '02 Dodge RAM pickup. The '03 bar uses a rubber bushing on both ends, thus eliminating the frequent failure of the tie-rod style upper joint on your original track bar.

The track bar used on the 1994 to 2002 trucks has a rubber bushing on the lower (axle) end and a ball joint on the upper (frame) end.

This ball joint is much the same as a tie-rod end in design.

Due to a combination of factors, this ball joint normally experiences fairly rapid wear.

For the 2003 model year, Dodge has switched to a trackbar that uses a rubber bushing on both ends. Trackbar wear on the newer trucks (as well as other makes that use a rubber bushed bar) is no longer an issue.

The Dodge Track Bar Replacement Kit includes bracket and mounting hardware. Does not include a track bar.

Features:

Straight bolt-on installation on most trucks.
All mounting hardware is supplied.
Durable powder-coated finish.
Laser cut, CNC bent.
Does not interfere with the popular "Mag-Hytec" differential cover.

Price: Track Bar Replacement Bracket - $185

Solid Steel Industries Suspension Upgrades for 94-08 Dodge 2500/3500

Hits close to home for me. I'm rebuilding my whole suspension and lowering my truck. Largely triggered by DW incurred twice with foot on the mat passing 100. Once that's done I'll have to fix the seat where my anus bit a chunk out of it. LOL

There's a great many ways people have 'fixed' this issue. I've done a great deal of research on it. It basically comes down to two things: get rid of the slop up front, and dial in as much caster as you can.

If you've ever seen DW from the outside of a truck experiencing it, the tires flop back and forth violently, sometimes not in the same direction. Scary as hell.

For the third gen's Dodge has a TSB that replaces everything from the steering gear to the knuckles with more of a crossover type setup. Some refer to it as the "inverted T" as opposed to the "inverted Y" many came with. It keeps everything pointed in the same direction by connecting the drag link to the tie rod as opposed to the knuckle. Some 2nd gens came with this T style setup, as I understand it. If yours didn't, I'd strongly recommend it.

Whole package through the TSB cost me around 300 at the dealer.

Looks like this:
IMG_7624-copy.jpg

Keeps the knuckles spaced evenly throughout the suspension's travel.

The new configuration will require replacement of the steering stabilizer as it mounts differently. Go aftermarket. The dodge one is too proud for what it is. A good single stabilizer should be fine. Duals are overkill, imo, for a truck not driven fast in rough conditions.

All that'll do you no good if your track bar is shot. Being a 2nd gen, I'd opt for a third gen trackbar conversion. At the very least, replace it with a second gen and grab a Lukes Link for it. If cash strapped, you could try a lukes link on your current one and it may improve somewhat.

Once that junk is replaced, you'll need an alignment. Ask the tech to dial in as much caster as possible and slightly more toe in than normal. The toe will wear tires a little bit faster, but greatly improve tracking and stability at speed.

If cash is tight, try the lukes link on the track bar, a new steering stabilizer, and an alignment as stated above.

Yes i have heard how it looks outside! My grandfather was behind me when this first happened years back! He said it looked like my wheels were going to fall off! But i told him it was just a scary inside the truck! I almost chit myself this morning! I was half asleep on the way to work. In the link i posted is that what i need? I think that is what you were talking about. Thank you for the help

The link posted is just the lukes link. Its a way someone devised to tighten up sloppy ball joints on the track bar. I've never used em as I have a 3rd gen, but I hear good things.

I can't say if it'll be all you need, but it wont hurt. If you have the cash, I'd do the whole enchilada: 3rd gen trackbar conversion and the upgraded draglink and tie rod. That and an alignment should put you good.

If you're tight on cash, no promises but try the last sentence in my previous post. It'll be a good start. Try this too: Some have been able to rotate tires and adjust inflation pressure with limited success.

I'd replace some parts. You've likely got some slop goin on that allows a bump in the road hit just right to affect toe of one wheel independent of the other sending the front end into a harmonic. The same worn components don't allow this harmonic to stop till speed is reduced minimizing gyro effect from the rotating wheels.

Going hog wild with steering stabilizers minimizes the affect, but it's just a band aid for slop in the front end. $.02

Or do i need this adjustable Track Bar??? Im so lost!!
Am i even looking in the wright diirection?

Attachments

• clip_image006.jpg
    clip_image006.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 13
This is the bracket that was fabed up a few years back. I think i will have to find a way to gring it off for a new track bar if that is what i need. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG00298-20090615-0655.jpg
    IMG00298-20090615-0655.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 32
The track bar keeps the front axle centered under the truck. Unless you are lifting or lowering your truck more than about 2 inches, you don't need an adjustable one, you'd just be wasting your money on the difference.

The third gen bar eliminates the wear prone balljoint on the top of the stock second gen track bar and replaces it with the captive bushing you see in your pictures.

The bracket you posted is what you need to convert to a 3rd gen track bar. Site sponsor Pure Diesel Power sells the bracket as well.
2nd to 3rd Gen Dodge 2500/3500 Track bar Retrofit Kit

You'll need that and a stock third gen track bar to complete the conversion. You can pick the third gen track bar up at most any good auto parts store. Get the track bar local if you can, it will be expensive to ship. $.02

Yes go with the Solid Steel bracket and Third Gen bar.

If you decide to lift the truck then use the adjustable bar . If you plan on keeping it stock just use the regular third gen track bar.

As to the pic you have above , I'm still trying to figure out why it was put there in the first place. The frame is not the problem but rather the crap design of the stock track bar.

I dont know why it is there. Like i said i took it to a shop they welded it on. It did stop my DW for a long time though. I want to fix it the right way! My truck has a 2 inch spacer on it now. So a 3rd gen trrack bar will still work? Thanks for the help.

Can you get a pic zoomed out a little of the bracket you're using now?

Not exactly sure what they were trying there..

The third gen track bar should still work fine.

Well here are some more pics. I also dont know what or why they did this... But it did work for a few years... I just priced a track bar from the dealership... 314! Thats crazy... Local Oriley doesnt carry them... Maybe napa does?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 22
Well i can't find a 3rd gen track bar at any of the local auto part stores, Autozone, Oriley, or Napa.... Looks like 314 at the dealer. If the adjustable one is cheaper should i take that route?

Ok another question.... What are the specs for the alignment? Anyone know what they should be? Sorry to keep bugging! But this sucks and i really need it fixed.

Dealer or junk yard is the only place to find third gen bars .

Align specs

Setting Left Wheel Right Wheel
Caster 3.2° 3.5°
Camber -0.10° -0.10°
Cross Caster -0.3°
Cross Camber 0.0°

The popular "DSS" steering stabilizer will greatly reduce steering "wander" on your late model Dodge pickup.

This unit will serve to eliminate sector shaft play in the steering box which is a large contributor to wandering and poor road feel.

It also serves to minimize frame flex at the steering box mounting point.
First check all your steering components. Loose ball joints, tie-rod ends or trackbar obviously must be replaced.

Poor wheel alignment must also be corrected. A steering box that has a loose sector shaft is often an overlooked cause of poor steering.

Features of Solid Steel Steering Stabilizer:

- Straight bolt-on installation. No drilling or welding.
- All mounting hardware is supplied.
- Durable powder-coated finish.
- NTN bearing is easily replaced if necessary.

Compatible with most lift kits. There are some exceptions, however. If your lift kit has drop brackets for the anti-sway bar AND there is a tube between these brackets, then there will be interference.

Two models available to fits the following Dodge RAM Trucks:

SSI DSS00203-4 - Dodge RAM 2003 and up, Dodge RAM 2500, and Dodge RAM 3500 4x4
SSI DSS0019402-4 - 1994 to 2002 Dodge RAM 2500 and Dodge RAM 3500 4x4

NOTE: DPP cannot guarantee fitment of the Solid Steel Products on vehicles equipped with Snow Plows

Attachments

• DSSsteeringstabilizer.jpg
    DSSsteeringstabilizer.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4
Back