Please read could save your life

that will make you think everytime you grab a can of brake clean and wash of a part.

Definitely makes you think about what your doing. Appreciate the Article and the "Heads Up".

Ya that's good info I use brake clean all the time before I weld. My friend was just telling me about this last week.

I have been useing brake clean for as long as I can rember It scares the h--l out of me of could have happened.i use my mig and tig all the time my mig uses 75/25 almost 100% of the and the spool gun uses 100% argon.I have a case of brake clean in the cabinet now I just got last week.

Dale

crazy. I heard bout this a while ago...told my co-worker the other day when he drenched the brakekleen all over the frame he was welding..naturally - he didn't believe it and started welding.

good info. I believe I saw this on Haisleys site sometime ago when the switched over to there new site.

Ryan

There are several things that burn into phosgene gas, no?

R12 and other different refrigerants? What else?

There are a ton of variations in the chemical makeup of automotive solvents so it's probably best just to read the can and/or MSDS.

I've always used lacquer thinner and never noticed a problem but I guess I should go read...

I just had a reaction (minor) last night in the garage. I was running the torpedo heater and using brake cleaner probably 35 feet apart from each other...bad idea! I had to call my dad to come over and help me into the house.

We just had a incident a few weeks ago with brake clean and a propane wall heater. Fogged up a whole garage and made 5 of us sick. Ill be lookin twice from now on.

WOW! I always use brakecleaner all the time. I usually only stick weld in my garage, but the other day my buddy brought over his mig for me to use. I remember him tellin me to use lacquor thinner to clean stuff off before I weld. Im sure glad I read this, I prob would have just used brake clean.:thankyou2:

I had this happen to me but mine was with galvonized pipe. if your going to weld galvanized please be sure to clean a good area around what your welding also, I just cleaned the area I was going to weld and the heat must have mixed in with the coating it got under the helmet and I couldnt breathe had to run out of the room. this is some serious stuff.

phosgene gas can also be made if you spray out an intake or the top of pistons with brake clean and then start the car. There is a dumbass I work with that does this crap all the time. Pretty much have to open all the doors and get out of the shop when he does it.

wow, my friend and i use nothing but brake kleen to clean things off. pretty crazy how we were at risk so many times. i emailed that to him.

Garrett

Back