Pop goes the head gasket!

cliff-1972

Yep,as the heading said.I was trying to figure out a sluggish boost issue and was working over the phone with my pump builder on the subject.Well,we started out my sliding AFC all the way back.This didn't help to much.Today we blocked off waste gate feed,you can see where this going,and I drove it like that home.Was able to see 40 psi under heavy throttle.Got home and took AFC off and noted fuel plate position,full forward.Removed torque plate.Checked fuel cut off arm for interference of throttle.None seen.Check AFC arm movement under pressure started to move at less than 10 psi and fully forward at 22 psi.Re-installed AFC w/o fuel plate and took for a drive.*Side Note*when re-installing AFC noticed boost line to gauge in cab was kinked and cracked.I fixed it and then went for a drive.Well with no fuel plate and waste gate blocked would hit 60 psi like right now.Well hit throttle a little harder and hit 70+ psi but below 80 psi and started to head back to the house.Looked over to the temp gauge that is usually at the "N" on normal,but was now at the "L" or slightly beyond that.I knew what that meant,blown head gasket.Got back to the garage and popped the hood.The coolant tank was pressured up and I could see it bobbling between #5 and #6 cylinder on the exhaust side.I had not done a hot cycle re-torque of head.Head is O-ringed with .008 protrusion,stock head gasket thickness and ARP studs torqued to 135 ft.lbs.Thought I would share my bad misfortune with you all.I had 2500 miles on it sense putting it back on the road.

That will learn ya. Sucks to hear but we all have or will blow a gasket at some point. I did mine in my 06 with 35,800 miles on it, fixed her myself and upgraded with studs, springs, and charger while everything was apart. You have to pay to play.

I believe I can leave the engine in to do the head gasket.

Yes,I have learned long before this head gasket.Lets not forget I windowed 2 7.3 PSD and blew 2 head gaskets as well on them.If you play you must pay sometimes,lol.

I order my .010 over thickness head gasket today.Hopefully see it tomorrow.Thanks Jeff :rockwoot:

I was able to do the head gasket change with the engine still in the truck.It is up and running again.I did the first hot re-torque of head last night.I will drive it for a few hundred miles then do another re-torque and continue to do so till the head studs nuts move no longer.Thanks for all the advice guys.

I did mine a long time ago. I unbolted the cab bolts. All but the back ones to give me some more room.

That will learn ya. Sucks to hear but we all have or will blow a gasket at some point. I did mine in my 06 with 35,800 miles on it, fixed her myself and upgraded with studs, springs, and charger while everything was apart. You have to pay to play.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Back