Porting and Polishing pics

luke h said:
Opie thank you for that information! Whats the best way to cut the intake off? band saw?
Luke

Yes I tried a couple different ways and going to a commercial cutting company that has a rather large bandsaw with a moving feed table do it seems like the most right answer to me. Normal kerf ranges between 1/8" and 7/32". You need to know what it is so you know how far to space the airplenum prior to welding.

Info

opie ill keep that in mind! I should be putting the head on the flow bench next week, ill let everyone now how it does.
Luke

JUst make sure you find a certified welder who knows how to weld cast iron. Cast iron is a very unpredictable metal to weld. If it is welded to hot it cracks, and if its welded to cold it falls apart.
I am certified (x-ray) in 11 different welding procedures and I wont even touch cast iron.

tony597fitter said:
JUst make sure you find a certified welder who knows how to weld cast iron. Cast iron is a very unpredictable metal to weld. If it is welded to hot it cracks, and if its welded to cold it falls apart.
I am certified (x-ray) in 11 different welding procedures and I wont even touch cast iron.

I wouldn't do the welding either. But as I mentioned earlier the guy I used didn't have any problems and somewhere in the garage I have a plenum that he welded a few samples on. I will look for later this week and upload pics if there is intrest. Also I am not in a rush to have it welded back on as I have several things in the fire right now. But I will attach pics after it is welded back on. I will be pressure checking it/snooping it for leaks prior to installing it.

Last edited:
has the welded stuff been through any heat cycles yet? So it can expand and contract to see if cracks start. I was quoted about $800.00 from a shop in Cal. that specializes in this stuff. Bolt on intake seems better. I'm in the same process of a full cut off intake ported head also. Should be on flow bench soon after we try some more valve cuts.

Thanks for sending me here to look at the pics. Looks real good. So by the time I am ready to take my head off you should be an expert at this.

Expert

Daniel,
I dont know if ill ever be an expert but im hoping some time on the flow bench will enlighten me.

luke h said:
Daniel,
I dont know if ill ever be an expert but im hoping some time on the flow bench will enlighten me.

Sorry about the wait for pics. There was a lot of stuff up in the air until this week as I wasn't sure how far I wanted to push the budget. I will try to get some pics soon and I will be welding the plenum back on with in a couple weeks.

4 Tuggin are you doing a 12V or 24? As pics will soon show I totally disagree with the people that said intakes don't make any real gains. lol

Does anyone know how critical the location of the bolt holes are for a bolt on manifold? Are there any water jackets I could possible hit? I want to do a port and polish on a spare 24v head I have but I don't wanna ruin it cause I drilled a hole in the wrong spot. I will be fabbing the manifold and milling and drilling the head myself. Oh how I love being a machinist in a welding shop.:rockwoot:

Accident Pic 057.jpg What used to be a dime diameter is now a penny.

Accident Pic 069.jpg Shows how much cylinder 6 aft port is opened.

Accident Pic 073.jpg This pic is a good example of how much material is removed.

Accident Pic 079.jpg Doing the peace sign via the exhaust ports

Accident Pic 064.jpg Shows that so much material was removed that chrome moly thin wall tubing was pressed in as pushrod liner.

Accident Pic 077.jpg Shows how much material was removed from exhaust ports

Accident Pic 066.jpg Blurry pic showing roof of intake

Accident Pic 075.jpg
luke h said:
Opie,
Any pics would be appreciated.
Thanks
Luke

Last edited:
513 pics 088.jpg Pic of porting in progress

513 pics 089.jpg Pic of same port later that day. lol

513 pics 092.jpg Pic shows the water jacket plug that has to be installed prior to reinstalling air plenum. Note that the air restriction that is caused by the water jacket passage way/plug to feed cyclinder 6 has been milled allowing aft port of #6 cylinder to breath as well as the front port. Pic 3 in prior reply above is what this area now looks like.

Last edited:
WOW...how much lighter is that head?? You really took some meat outta there!

Do you think there will be any durability problems?
Chris

Dang, if that is not trying to get something out of nothing I don't know what is.

Jim

I have heard numbers of up to 18 pounds were cut from these heads...this includes the shaved plenum!!!

Looks excellent! Nice to know about the pushrod tubes too. Lets ya know not to go any further when you hit em. Can't wait to get started on mine. Anyone know how deep I can go on the bolt holes before I hit a water jacket?

Eric

Chris I have access to another head that has been oringed and is completely stock that I will wiegh it against. I will post the wieghts when I get this one completed. I am trying to find a local shop to flow test both of them for comparison. Not shown are the new pushrods I bought from Source Automotive they are 40 percent lighter than stock. Too bad it isn't possible to machine 40 percent of the weight off of the head.
Durability problems? Don't understand why that would be an issue. I will static test the plenum with 125# of pressure for a couple days after it is welded back on.

Jim, lol yeah maybe so, on the other hand it maybe a myth buster. I plan on using the same ole turbos so I have somewhat of a ref. I did utilized a few local top builders for input/help which had me debating making a set of larger valves. If nothing else I have ensured #6 now has the same access to air as the other cylinders.

kxhonda, you miss understand what I wrote above. A couple chrome moly thin walled tubes where pressed in. The head does not have them in its stock form.

We ran into the valve issue a few years ago, seems that the head would not flow enough for it to matter, the only other thing we did was cut the valves 45/45 and they actually wanted to go further. On the head porting he drilled two holes in the plenum on either end to allow access to #1 and #6, after the porting was finished he threaded plugs in the holes.

Jim

Opie said:
Chris I have access to another head that has been oringed and is completely stock that I will wiegh it against. I will post the wieghts when I get this one completed. I am trying to find a local shop to flow test both of them for comparison. Not shown are the new pushrods I bought from Source Automotive they are 40 percent lighter than stock. Too bad it isn't possible to machine 40 percent of the weight off of the head.
Durability problems? Don't understand why that would be an issue. I will static test the plenum with 125# of pressure for a couple days after it is welded back on.

Thanks...not that the weight matters, but just curious!

On the durability thing...I just mean durability from getting too close to water jackets, or having to press in new push rod tubes. Wouldn't want them falling out!

Thanks for the info Opie!
Chris

Back