porting

Yount67malibu

Coal Master
ok, this might be a stupid question but when porting a stock 12v head, how can you port the intake side since you cant get to the intake ports that well unless you cut the head like your going to use a custom intake, or is it even possible to port the intake side. i know of ppl porting the exhaust side and the manifold but wasnt sure on intake. thanks guys

Exhaust porting yeilds some pretty good gains without cutting your head, but yes you are correct, the intake has to be machined off to port the intake side.

If you're doing a mild port job most of it will be done on the exhaust side with only a little porting done through the intake valve opening. If you're cutting the intake manifold off you better be building an all out competition engine. I know guys running near 6k rpm down the track and over 1200 hp with the intake manifold still in place.

If you're doing a mild port job most of it will be done on the exhaust side with only a little porting done through the intake valve opening. If you're cutting the intake manifold off you better be building an all out competition engine. I know guys running near 6k rpm down the track and over 1200 hp with the intake manifold still in place.

How much do you take off through the intake valve opening? and where? does anyone have any info on this? i know most guys are doing a gasket match on the exhaust side of things, but the bowls not too sure on how to tackle.

ya im def not cutting the head to run a custom intake. lol not for a long long long time i was just curious if that was the only way to port the intake side.

PDR ports heads on the intake side also without milling the Intake off. How they do it I don't know. I would go that route. Cause I like the whole stock look.

bowl work is where you net your biggest gains... you don't have to cut the plenum off in order to net great gains on the intake side!

unless you're a beast behind the grinder and have access to a flow bench, you're not really going to gain much flow on the intake side by cutting the plenum off to access the intake ports

unless you're a beast behind the grinder and have access to a flow bench, you're not really going to gain much flow on the intake side by cutting the plenum off to access the intake ports

Yeah if u get it done tho you can get more air to 1 and 6 but there's lots of people making power with stock intake never touched.

how much can you take out of the bowls before hitting a water jacket?

Every head is slightly different. I've removed quite a bit of metal from them without going through...it all depends where the metal is removed.

Every head is slightly different. I've removed quite a bit of metal from them without going through...it all depends where the metal is removed.

Lee, can you tell us where to remove material? and how much. you have alot more experience than most of us.

Back