PPE/ LB7 Questions?

Ok kids, my roomate is tired of getting hosed by the 7.3:hehe: He is finnally wanting to play, What are yalls thoughts on a PPE trans? or is it better to stay w/ Suncoast or Merchant or whomever? He called and talked to them today (PPE) and was leaning towards either them or suncoast. PPE told him that their Stg IV would hold around 800ish. Any thoughts on it are appreciated. Also what are the first issues that need addressing on an LB7 after doing some fueling like the ET box and maybe a small set of injectors. Basically what are the ranges where u have to get deep into ur pockets on them. Is around 500-550 reasonably safe?
thanks fellas...
btw its an '01 2500 4x4, intake, exhaust and a hot juice -(junk)

I'm know guru but I have an opinion. :D

ppe trans is a re-badged SunCoast I *think*.

I have a SunCoast built by Merchant. I love it.

Skip on injectors. Just put a trans in, some good performance tuning (several to choose from - I have custom tuning with EFI Live. If he doesn't want to mess with EFI Live and tuning himself, PPE is probably the most powerful canned tune available) and a lift pump (again, several to choose from) and enjoy 500rwhp for a good while. If more is needed, he'll need more air via a different turbo. then more fuel, then internal engine parts. :D

C-ya

Last edited:
MidTennPSD said:
btw its an '01 2500 4x4, intake, exhaust and a hot juice -(junk)

whats junk the Edge?

I thought a PPE tranny a Suncoast kit with an ATS TC

I appreciate it fellas, yea his edge is junk, only works when it wants to, and its like the third one hes had. Yea ive noticed since yesterday the injectors just dont help the dmaxes like the psd's or cummins. You can get more than enough out of the stock ones it seems. But as far as levels go on them, Like what boost do you have worry about nuking the turbo, or head gaskets. Basically what level is safe to run and not have to worry about screwing up internals.

if keeping stock charger... keep it below 32psi and I wouldn't run it at that for a real long time. Just short bursts and stuff... even then, it'll wear out eventually.

As for the head gaskets, you aren't going to hurt them with the stock turbo BUT, 01 Dmaxes sometimes have bad headgaskets and even stock trucks have them blow out so it's a crap-shoot with an 01 Dmax. I probably wouldn't worry about the gaskets. Just know that if they fail, it's really not so much to do with you exceeded their limits but a bad deal from the factory.

C-ya

I gotcha, well he's gotten fired up lately to do stuff to his truck, think hes gonna do a ppe stg IV, hot et, shim kit, lift pump and the centerlink. Any ideas on power levels? I was thinking high 400s maybe scaring 500?? Also is it possible to interchange turbos b/t models, like will and lly or lbz turbo fit or is it even worth it or should he just go aftermarket? LB7s were isuzu turbo right? then lly and so on was a garrett or am i just dreaming lol?

MidTennPSD said:
I gotcha, well he's gotten fired up lately to do stuff to his truck, think hes gonna do a ppe stg IV, hot et, shim kit, lift pump and the centerlink. Any ideas on power levels? I was thinking high 400s maybe scaring 500?? Also is it possible to interchange turbos b/t models, like will and lly or lbz turbo fit or is it even worth it or should he just go aftermarket? LB7s were isuzu turbo right? then lly and so on was a garrett or am i just dreaming lol?

Id go with a SC3, PPE hot,lift pump,BD wastegate & Cognito arm supports
don't need a shim kit on a LB7
atleast 450hp
No swapping turbos,LB7 are mech. wastegate, LLY/LBZ are electronic VVT

Last edited:
guys i really appreciate the help. I have noticed one thing about the gm camp, u guys are a heckuva lot more open and helpful about info then the ford guys. Which is why im jumping ship lol. Would never own a dodge product but cramming a 12 valve into the ford is in the works, its too hard to get anything out of a 7.3 ive found, and a helluva alot harder to make it live..... thanks fellas...

no problem... a note possibly worth adding about the LLY/LBZ (VVT chargers) is that Brayden of Fleece Performance is *supposed* to be working it out to where you CAN in fact run one an LB7. It will have a stand alone controller also developed by Brayden incorporated with his "Turbo Brake".

The reason I mention this is because, for the money, I think Brayden's modified VVT chargers (called Cheetah's) are very hard to beat IMO. They have been shown to produce good power and, like I said, they are cheaper than any other charger kit currently available for the Dmax. That's a good deal IMO. He hasn't officially released the Cheetah for an LB7 yet though and I don't know when or if he will but if he did I'd say it'll make a killer street setup.

C-ya

Smokeshow is wise beyond his years. I know of this Brayden guy.

Head north to Indy and have Fleece Performance put an SC3 and 1058 in. Add a lift pump and a good EFI tune and you got a mean truck. Go with EFI - plenty of good free tunes out there.

A TTS tune is very tough to beat on an LB7. The fastest LB7 trucks in stock form have TTS tuning for the most part. I like EFI, but you would be stupid to rule out TTS on an LB7. I know of some LB7's that put down track and hp #'s most would dream of with TTS tuning.....and none have had any motor problems.

Brayden @ FPE said:
Is he still selling them?

It is listed on his website...and pending you are not on the "soup list", I'd imagine you could get one within a year or so!:hehe:

Bobo said:
A TTS tune is very tough to beat on an LB7. The fastest LB7 trucks in stock form have TTS tuning for the most part. I like EFI, but you would be stupid to rule out TTS on an LB7. I know of some LB7's that put down track and hp #'s most would dream of with TTS tuning.....and none have had any motor problems.

I agree to a certain extent, but there are plenty of other good LB7 tunes out there on EFI that will fill the needs above. What is the cost of a TTS tune? What about Kennedy, Duramaxtuner, Moonshine, Powermax, etc that will sell you a loaded ECM?

He only has to beat a Ford :hehe: (Sorry man, couldn't resist).

05smoker said:
I agree to a certain extent, but there are plenty of other good LB7 tunes out there on EFI that will fill the needs above. What is the cost of a TTS tune? What about Kennedy, Duramaxtuner, Moonshine, Powermax, etc that will sell you a loaded ECM?

He only has to beat a Ford :hehe: (Sorry man, couldn't resist).

I was only stating TTS is another option that has proved it is a contender over the years. You could argue what is the best until you are blue in the face, so I won't go there. Simply stated, TTS is a very good option for a high HP, reliable LB7 tune...and it is switchable on the fly.

Bobo said:
I was only stating TTS is another option that has proved it is a contender over the years. You could argue what is the best until you are blue in the face, so I won't go there. Simply stated, TTS is a very good option for a high HP, reliable LB7 tune...and it is switchable on the fly.

I follow

Bobo said:
A TTS tune is very tough to beat on an LB7. The fastest LB7 trucks in stock form have TTS tuning for the most part.

That will be put to the test this spring

Back