Pre 2013 destroying pistons trend

dangerous06

diesel tech
I've been coming across a lot of engines with destroyed #6 pistons OK only three so far but why?! It starts with a knock which could possibly be a bad injector then leads to failure. Louder knock! Has anyone seen this? Pre 2013 motors all of them! All with EGR deletes. Not sure on any programmers. Are the 2015 pistons much better and can they be used in the pre 13 motors?

Piston design changed? Any pics of the new stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in 2013 the piston skirts were coated. I'm sure they did it due to the increased rod ratio of the 6.7. Funny coincidence as I've been trying to research the specifics myself.

I think in 2013 the piston skirts were coated. I'm sure they did it due to the increased rod ratio of the 6.7. Funny coincidence as I've been trying to research the specifics myself.

I thought in 2014 they changed to the coated pistons? Anybody know for sure?!

Yeah you could be right, I was trying to find that info as well. I'm researching on the piston skirts because they would be a good idea on 6.7s.

I think the fact that 2013's haven't been able to be tuned for very long might be a contributing factor as well

To my understanding the rod ratio didn't change from the 5.9 to 6.7, it was the wrist pin location in the piston .0080thousands.

To my understanding the rod ratio didn't change from the 5.9 to 6.7, it was the wrist pin location in the piston .0080thousands.

I read here(http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-performance-parts-discussion/1389969-6-4-build-alot-questions-4.html#post15640129) that the rod ratio changed due to the increased stroke.

A change in the wrist pin location would make sense, kind of like the old Mopar 440's.

I'm not sure, I'm just riding on other member's intelligence LOL.

Back