pretty stk12v keeps blowing head gaskets

bonesmx2000

supportn the single moms
here is what we have in the shop a 96 12v with almost 200,000 miles on the stk head gasket that it just blew it had a 160 hp pump and a guy he knows got him and industrial pump off of a 250 hp cummins b motor so he runs the pump for a lil while and he keeps saying its a complete dog i honestly dont know what gov springs are in it i tried swapping afc housing 2 c if mybe tha afc arm was diff i know it has a really really stiff spring in it he said it gets to 25psi and runs great untill then nothing at all and he gets 42 psi with a hx 35 stk in j and very little advance timeing but ne ways he decided he was going to pull the plate out of it and drive it that way and said it came to life but in doing so it took out a head gasket so he brought it over we pulled head put in a new gasket it lasted 8 miles of easy driving and blew again so we put in a .020 thicker head gasket in and it blew it in 10 miles first gasket was exh side second gasket was all intake side this one havent gotten head off yet so dont know i checked head with a straght edge and it seemed pretty flat i think i could get a .004 feeler guage in in like one spot but it was trying to lift my straight edge so any ideas im open to suggestions thanks jeremy

Where did you go to school? Thats the longest sentence that I have ever seen. Like Timmy said, we're adults here so lets type like them...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say your missing something.
Besides periods.
What kinda boost is it making since he took the plate out?
What kinda torque wrench do you use?
Is the head gasket blowing in the same place?

if you read the whole sentence it says the truck is getting 42 psi with an hx35. and the torque wrench is the same snap on torque wrench i use to torque my studs, and all the other trucks we do, and the trucks that get done at cummins. Cummins is where the guy who i got the torque wrench from works at. also i stated it blew the exh side first and then all the intake sides and havent pulled the head off yet this time so i dont know where its blowing it out now. ??????????? i have no idea what it may be i have said to take timeing back to stk and try that but they keep saying its not advanced but a deg or 2. stk injectors all this truck is is a work truck so its nothing high performance at all. the onlything hp is the goerend trans it has in it.

So before you guys installed this injection pump did you make sure the cam in the engine and the cam in the injection pump will work together? If not this could be your problem, being an industrial pump it is most likely different because it is used in a different manner.

this is not meant to offend anyone, but i asked for help with a truck i didnt ask people to critique my writing. so if you have a problem with the way i posted this thread please dont waste my time telling me that i need to go to school or that it sucks or whatever it may be that you think of how i wrote it . i know its not very profesional but it was 4 am when i wrote it and i was tired and wanted to go to bed. im just trying to figure out why this truck is doing what it is doing. so if you would like to give me some helpful information i would greatly appreciate it. thank you to everyone who has tried to help me. once again i mean this message in no way mean its just i spend more time reading criticism about how it was wrote than helping me. thanks jeremy

It sounds like you probably need to have the head and possibly even the deck checked for trueness.

If they keep blowing, then it probably has something more to do with the current condition of the head or block then the actual head gaskets. Not to cut hairs, but you are certain that you are getting the correct head gasket?

Are you using head studs or regular stock bolts?

it seems to have slipped my mind that there is 2 sides to a head gasket. i checked the head but not the block oops. the first gasket i used was a stk cummins head gasket for that engine serial number and the second .020 over gasket was a napa gasket. the napa gaskets i have used before and had no problem i had an extra .020 gasket laying around thats why we just threw it on. we thought we got a bad gasket from cummins.
the stock bolts are being used and i did check them before reinstalling them to verify that they arent stretched too far. we had 2 that were very close so i replaced them with my old ones off of my truck that only had 50k miles when they were taken out and replaced with studs. my old bolts were also checked and were well in spec.
so i guess ill check the block tomm and see what i find.
thanks

ditch the stock charger and stop running more than 35psi the back pressure from the stock charger is most likely the culpret, or it is magnifying the real problem - an untrue deck

sorry

Loud&Obnoxious said:
So before you guys installed this injection pump did you make sure the cam in the engine and the cam in the injection pump will work together? If not this could be your problem, being an industrial pump it is most likely different because it is used in a different manner.

even though they say it is only a few degrees advanced the different pump could infact be changing the timing more than you think! so i agree with loud on this one that could be part of it ! Also a warped head or block could do it but i am guessing the pump.

Back