Primary turbine housing opinions

icemanjc1

Joel's Diesel
Presently I'm running a GT3788R over GTX4202R on my 06 5.9. The secondary is a 63/64/.99 T3 and the primary is a 76/75/1.15. My boost numbers on the primary are almost exactly half of total boost in almost every case.

By the numbers (PR), my primary is doing most of the work. I wonder if the tight turbine housing on the primary is choking the secondary. My question is, should I ditch the 1.15 divided housing and go with a 1.28 or 1.44? Or say screw it and put a Tial SS 1.30 housing on there?

Also to note, I'm building a mild 6.7 to take the place of the 5.9 and plan on keeping this compound setup.

Thoughts?

The 1.44AR may be larger, but marginal at best. Is your primary turbine housing not internally wastegated?

Last edited:
Nope, no wastegate (primary), internal gate on the secondary though.....

Last edited:
Whats the reason for wanting to switch, other than the theoretical? My twins are very close to yours, GT3782R/.89 and GTX4202R/1.0 Tial, my boost is pretty much the same. But my EGT's are still pretty low in most cases.

If you look around, you can find larger A/R T6 housings off of Detroit's. See the odd 1.28 housing come along.

Or you could pick up a T6 1.15AR internally wastegated housing.

Whats the reason for wanting to switch, other than the theoretical? My twins are very close to yours, GT3782R/.89 and GTX4202R/1.0 Tial, my boost is pretty much the same. But my EGT's are still pretty low in most cases.

If you look around, you can find larger A/R T6 housings off of Detroit's. See the odd 1.28 housing come along.

I guess thoughts of switching because I'll be using this set on my 6.7 when the time comes. Trying to make it flow better before the engine change.

I wonder if that Tial 1.0 undivided that you run would flow better than my 1.15?

Last edited:
You cannot directly compare the AR of a T4 and T6 housing. The internally wastegated housing is very common and often found on 12L Detroits.

I have 3 1.15a/r t6 wastegated housings for sale.

Last edited:
You cannot directly compare the AR of a T4 and T6 housing. The internally wastegated housing is very common and often found on 12L Detroits.

Did I compare a T4 to a T6?
didimiss.gif

-Oh wait, does Garrett even make a T6 1.28 or 1.44 AR? This might be the source of my confusion...

Last edited:
Alright, anyone know what PSI a t6 1.28 housing off of a detroit series 60 might be gated at?

I have a 1.28 internally gated t6 housing for a gt42 I'd sell. I'll have to look on it again, I remember seeing a psi on it for the gate.

I've got one here, but thank you for the offer. But for my interest if you could, give it a second look at the PSI for the gate.

When you go to the 6.7 your going to be way different than you are now. I just started leaning into my new motor and the difference in turbine reaction is very noticeable. Depending on what you are trying to do, both turbos may end up being too small. Enjoy what sounds like a good setup for now and re-tune when you get the 6.7 in place.

When you go to the 6.7 your going to be way different than you are now. I just started leaning into my new motor and the difference in turbine reaction is very noticeable. Depending on what you are trying to do, both turbos may end up being too small. Enjoy what sounds like a good setup for now and re-tune when you get the 6.7 in place.

Yeah, I didn't really plan on the 6.7 when I was turbo shopping last winter. So far the only plans for the motor are coated pistons and 12v rods, stock cam, stock head, 100-120hp nozzles. And I have thought about what you're saying Ron, here's hoping I don't need to drop another $4000+ on turbos.

Back