Pro Street 1st Gen Build Thread

Asking because I've not seen one and don't know the rules, are tilt front clips allowed in pro street?

There is no rule saying they are not allowed? I don't see why that would matter anyways, Seth has a 1 piece lift off front end, I don't see much difference between that and mine.

God I loved your truck in diesel power, way to take sick first gen to a new level!!! Great build I might have to wonder out your way to watch it run. I thought running my 90 was fun, I would have WAY to much fun in that. Good luck

God I loved your truck in diesel power, way to take sick first gen to a new level!!! Great build I might have to wonder out your way to watch it run. I thought running my 90 was fun, I would have WAY to much fun in that. Good luck

Thank you, I some recent pictures to post but haven't had the time to transfer them to my new phone. I'll get around to it here soon.

So I recently made some new additions to the project I've just been too busy to post. A few weeks ago I decided to go to a short bed and acquired a pretty nice rust free one. I then decided that I'm going to back halve the frame beings I don't like the idea of just shortening the existing frame and there is some weight to be saved with the back halve. I went ahead and shortened the existing frame just to make life a little easier when I jig the truck for the back halve and 4 link. I lost most of my pictures of that process but I cut 15" out of the rails between the cab and the bed wheel houses and another 4.5" directly off the rear of the rails to fit the short bed. The end result looks like this
78fc29a9757b61205ebebdf98b215dde.jpg

It now does everything better. It looks better (IMO), it turns sharper, it fits on my trailer better, it is lighter. It pretty much does everything better now.
This week I took the truck out to one of our friends shop who builds chassis and races pro mod cars. I finally got around to building a locator bar for the front and he's got a nice computer simulator program that we used to simulate how the suspension will work and used that to pick the best locator design. After many choices we decided to go with a wishbone style locator. Beings that I still want to drive the truck on the street a little the wishbone will be the most affective way to positivity locate the axle and still allow free movement of the link bars up and down. We opted to use 1 3/4" .250 wall DOM tubing for the wishbone sleeve and a solid steel bar that we machined down and drilled/tapped for the heim. As you'll see in the pics we made it a little longer then most would to allow more range of movement. The wishbone heims are also 3/4 chromoly.
e763bbc0c1fc987608e24952c8020425.jpg
9fbf65be4a5389110125a7e8bf6de3ea.jpg
506386b378ddd0e08370d3ba2164587f.jpg

While I was there we bent the new tube frame rails and rear down bars for the new back halve. That is my next plan of attack and hope to start on it in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the wishbone setup! Especially with the way your power steering if fore aft instead of lateral like the 2nd gens.

Did you turn down the solid bar stock in the middle of the sleeve more so you can add a zerk fitting and grease it? I would think that just a little bit of moisture could make that go from smooth to seized without grease.
Also, what sort of clearance did you leave between the sleeve and bar?

I really like the wishbone setup! Especially with the way your power steering if fore aft instead of lateral like the 2nd gens.

Did you turn down the solid bar stock in the middle of the sleeve more so you can add a zerk fitting and grease it? I would think that just a little bit of moisture could make that go from smooth to seized without grease.
Also, what sort of clearance did you leave between the sleeve and bar?

It will have a grease fitting just didn't have the tap on hand. I believe the clearance is 3-4 thou but I'd have to measure to check I forgot to ask honestly. And yes the solid bar was machined down and the sleeve machined on the Inside

It will have a grease fitting just didn't have the tap on hand. I believe the clearance is 3-4 thou but I'd have to measure to check I forgot to ask honestly. And yes the solid bar was machined down and the sleeve machined on the Inside

Cool! I haven't seen that setup before and it gives me some ideas. :Cheer:

Also, for future plans, I think you could skip machining the inside and instead of buying Type 5 (DOM) tubing, you could have bought Type 6 (SSID) and been good to go for the sleeve.

Cool! I haven't seen that setup before and it gives me some ideas. :Cheer:

The only thing similar I've seen on the front is "Miss Missery" 4wd 10.5 outlaw truck. They also run a wishbone locator although they are lader bar in the front. I have yet to find someone with an adjustable 4 link upfront. Most just run the factory stuff.

So why a wishbone? I doesn't look like it will allow enough vertical movement for planting the rear. Or am I missing something?

So why a wishbone? I doesn't look like it will allow enough vertical movement for planting the rear. Or am I missing something?

You are missing something. It will allow as much vertical travel as any other point. I would have to guess his shocks are the limiting factor, looking at the pictures.

See the part that sticks out the back? That's a shaft that slides in the sleeve, so you have a ton of vertical travel. This setup might not be so great on a 2nd gen because the drag link goes lateral and would always be pushing on it, but with the fore aft style he has, it's a great idea. I would argue that the wishbone is better at everything except for lateral strength, and rust if driven in the snow, but for a drag truck, it's going to let the axle articulate straight up and down and not around the radius of the track bar (pan-hard).

Back