Probably to many questions for one thread, but here it goes

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have an 04 excursion that is the family tow wagon / wifes hot rod. Here is a list of what has been done to the vehicle.

Head studs
egr delete
fuel pressure spring thing
new oil cooler
mbrp 4 inch full exhaust
BD oil breather filter kit
sct with tunes from innovative
edge insight moniter
amsoil bypass oil filter

These have been on the truck for the last few years. I just replaced the stock turbo that had leaking seals with a stage 1 garrett powermax.

so here are my questions

1. While i have been reasonably satisfied with my tuning what are my other options besides innovative? I would like to bump up the power a bit for my tow tune. Does the new turbo change what the tuner will program into the tune or is extreme race the same all the time regardless of turbo?

2. Can a tune be written specifically for tow haul mode? I would like for tow haul mode to never shift into top gear thereby giiving me an overdrive lockout.

3. Is it possible that my tow tune with the turbo brake contributed to leaky turbo seals in any way?

4. how much power do people tow with? what is max sustainable egt on these guys. In my search i saw opinions ranging from 1200-1400* anbody here have experiance in melting one down in these temp ranges?

5. the only thing I have on my fuel system is that upgraded spring. with stock injectors will this be enough for any tune?

I did a search here and looked over psn and still had these questions after looking. I know this site isn't a huge powerstroke site but since this is the one I frequent I though I would start here.

1) A: i forgot who my brother uses but it wasn't Innovative
B: tell your tuner and he can advise

2) why lock out OD?

towing heavy through mountain twisties is not fun in OD. nor is it enjoyable having the constant shifting. I realize those out in the medwest, and the east have no concept of mountains but they do exist.

Theres a button on the end of the gear selector knob you can push to shut that of. Or is that to far to reach ?

Use the skinny pedal to keep it out of overdrive. I have to get to 62 mph for my truck to hit overdrive and I can get to shift out just by slowing down a little. My 6.0 has pretty much the same mod list as your truck and with Eric's tow tune I can drag my 11,000# 5er up just about any grade and stay above 55.

My trucks hit 1100* towing my 5er up a fairly long steep grade and anything over that I'll slow down so the trans down shifts to keep the EGT's down.

It's not so much the HP for the tow tune it's what you're asking the entire drive train to do with the extra HP and torgue while towing a heavy trailer. There's a reason why Eric doesn't write huge HP tow tunes.

Vivian - Quick Tricks
Tony Wildman - Total Diesel Performance
Bill - Power Hungry Performance
Erik - Innovative
Matt - Gearhead

If you specify a tow tune from any of the above, they will recommend a tune based on your expected load. The order of this list does not reflect my preference. I only have tunes from Tony Wildman and Vivian. I have read on multiple occasions where people who are veterans in the powerstroke game say to try different tuners, just because Tony's tune runs great in my truck doesnt necesserily mean you will have the same results. Hope this helps.

Back