Problem with Scheid Lasercuts!!! Will not idle!!!

oldsmokey97

Well, I put my Scheid Lasercuts in and now it wont idle. I checked over everything and took them in and out three times and it is still doing it. It still has good power (not as much as expected cuz its about the same as my 191's) . It runs smooth at all rpms but it just wont idle. If i left my foot off the peddle, the rpms will slowly drop untill it dies. It takes about 6 secs for it die.

Changed fuel filter, and checked/stretched spring in overflow valve and nothing has helped.

Boost is the same as it was before and did not notice any more power and smoke is about the same.

What the helll now??

Lance

Hmm... I never had to change anything when mine (Chris') went in. Does it stay running if you add a little fuel with your foot? If so, maybe you just have to adjust the idle?

bnraodn.

yes...... it will stay running if i keep my foot barely on it. It just slowly dies after i take my foot off of it.

I have NEVER EVER EVER had to adjust the idle after a dv change soo.. i dont know what is up.

any other ideas??

lance

it was perfectly fine with the 191's and then i put the lasercuts in and i was like WTF NOW???!!! lol

it kinda sux having to keep your foot on the peddle while at stop lights and stuff so if anyone has ideas on this.... shoot them to me.

lance

May sound like I'm being an ass but did you adjust the idle?

I needed to when I put mine in.

Bobcat698 said:
May sound like I'm being an ass but did you adjust the idle?

I needed to when I put mine in.

Bought mine from Bobcat, had to adjust my idle a tensy bit as well.

I havent yet but i guess i am going to have to. I have NEVER heard of or messed with adjusting the idle after a dv swap. New to me.

I just thought that something else somewhere was wrong. Like one getting slightly hung up or something.

Never had to do it with 191's, 181's, or 131's.

also, one more thing, it came with little copper "washers" or gaskets as they are called. I have always read to NOT put these back in so...... why did they come in the kit?? Are they mandatory or what? BTW, it tried it with the little washer things in and out and it was the same results.

Lance

Lance

i had the same exact problem, i tried on 2 differenet times to install my dv's. found the problem when i took my pump off and took it to a pump shop to have it tuned, they said my gov was way out of balance which is why the dvs (since they are so big) caused it not to idle.

well adjusted the idle and is working fine. I still dont think something is right. It feel like that same power as the Piers 191's that came out of it? Seems like no more smoke than the 191's either. Not that i want anymore of that i was just expecting them to be like HOLY CRAP!!!

but other than that......... they run really smooth and power is decent.

Lance

I've never compared those Scheids to a set of 191s so I can't comment.

ok.......... last night i a was messing around in town and one of my buddies told me to do a burn out. I did it and everything went good but it sounded kinda like it was studdering at the higher rpms (4000). Almost like it does when my fuel filter gets really bad.

Could my lift pump be on the way out?? I also have heard some pretty loud ticking noises down toward the pump also.

I just dont think that i am getting the full effect of these dv's!!!

Lance

Lance:

I have the same Scheid Delivery Valves in my 96' but had them put in when my new engine was recently rebuilt. I have had no problems at all. I would suggest giving J.P. a call at Scheid Diesel (Terre Haute) @ 1-800-669-1593 or Brad Ingram at Scheid Diesel (Effingham, Ill) on Monday @ 1-800-669-1934
Either one of those guys can help you out!

-------
John_P

well..... i had called scheid (dont remember which one or who i talked to) but they didnt know what was going on. I explained what was happening with the not idleing issue and they didnt know anything about it. They just told me (like yall on the forums) to bump up the idle.

I think i need to check fuel pressure and then check my timing to see what is causing the spuddering effect at high rpms at WOT.

Lance

Lance, you could have called me as well, I could have helped you on the idle issue as well.
The stuttering sounds like either a timing issue or fuel pressure issue.

i am starting to think it may be a timing thing too. Cuz lately, things have been getting hotter and hotter! The pyro pegs SOO easily and sooo fast!

I can peg the pyro in fourth gear at about 3400rpms if i am on it good.

Also, if i am getting low fuel pressure.... what could a fella do about it?? Get another replacement mechanical pump or switch over to FASS???

Lance

Back