Procharger + Turbo setup

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
I have been doing some reading on the supercharger and turbo setups and from what i have gathered you can either run the procharger as the atmospheric turbo or run a roots style as the secondary because of the internal bypass. I have read that prochargers dont like much boost or heat through them. Is there a reason you could not run a turbo and procharger seperately to the intercooler?

They would have two seperate intake tubes and then run a y pipe of some sort into the intercooler. I would think this would be fairly simple to do. Any reason not to do it this way?

Id think the boost out of the sc would try to stall the turbo down low and vice versa up high.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So the procharger would be acting as a vacuum on the turbo? Isn't that how compounds are normally setup or am I missing something?

What I mean is if they're both pushing into the I/c; at lower rpms the procharger could conceivably be making enough boost to overcome the drive pressure of the turbo, therefore forcing it backwards. On the high side the turbo is going to be pushing against the procharger pretty hard.
It might work fine, that's just a possibility I could see happening.

You also might try to pm carl (turbolvr) he's done tons of research on this.

I don't see the turbo stalling when there is drive pressure being forced out. Maybe I am wrong I am trying to learn as much as a I can about drive pressures and everything but I am pretty new to the whole idea. How is EDP's kit setup? They just run the pressure side of the procharger into the intake of the turbo correct?

My shop built a pulling truck with an F1 feeding a GT4202 Magnum on an LBZ Duramax, it was an Empire kit, worked great! Making sure everything is balanced in the engine is key though. Regulating boost and drive pressure was an issue as well, we never got to rebuild it when the bottom end let go. If I can be of any help I'll do my part.

How did It run? I have seen some of the videos online but there aren't many.

If you're compounding it its different I thought you meant running to the I/c separately.

We are trying to figure out what is going to be the best option. I was just wondering if it was feasible to run it separately into the intercooler.

You could use a simple vane type valve. The SC would feed one side and the turbo the other, most boost wins.

I guess I was caught on seeing the traditional compound setup before but now thinking about it I am guessing the way EDPs kit is setup is with the procharger being the atmospheric charger. So you would run your filter into your procharger, procharger compressor outlet into compressor inlet of manifold charger. Then compressor outlet of manifold charger would feed into intercooler. Is this correct and other than running an external wastegate on the manifold are there any other things to think about when setting it up this way? This would be way simpler than my original thought. I had just read how prochargers dont like boost being run through them or heat so I was thinking it up as the conventional compound setup but now I think this makes more sense. Is this correct?

Here's a video of it. It blew a boot towards the end of the pull

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EcrzWZ1dU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EcrzWZ1dU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

How did It run? I have seen some of the videos online but there aren't many.

Truck ran like a raped ape, had TONS of potential, we just weren't able to finish what we started for a few various reasons that I won't get into.

If you use a large enough blower that is cog driven, there is NO WAY it would be a restriction on the turbo. Centrifugal superchargers have a very wide compressor map. If you do it, just make sure you are right at the limit of the compressor speed at your max engine rpm. Don't want to short change yourself!

im currently running a F1C and a gt4294 on my truck, and was running a 4202, truck only made 640 on the dyno, but drives decent with the supercharger set up. ONly problem i have had is the belt slipping with the added cp3 on the belt system, before the dual fuelers the belt didnt slip but now it does, and i need more air, im pulling the boost down to about 1 psi between stages on a hard pull. Cog set up is definatly needed on my particular set up but i dont feel like doing that on a daily driver so the supercharger and everything is comming of, I think there is good potential there but in my case its just not going to work the way i want.

What I mean is if they're both pushing into the I/c; at lower rpms the procharger could conceivably be making enough boost to overcome the drive pressure of the turbo, therefore forcing it backwards.
No. Go look at a compressor wheel. Forcing air through it makes it turn the normal operational direction. In other words, it would make the turbo spin up faster.

Installing a supercharger first in line is a very poor option. It means that your engine's power will be limited to what the supercharger flows at a given rpm. At best, the turbo will increase flow to the point the SC is at a 1.0 (zero boost) pressure ratio. If you try to make the turbo flow any more than that the SC will become a restriction and the turbo will draw a vacuum.

Last edited:
So then your saying I could use the turbo as the atmospheric charger and still run boost through the procharger?

Installing a supercharger first in line is a very poor option. It means that your engine's power will be limited to what the supercharger flows at a given rpm. At best, the turbo will increase flow to the point the SC is at a 1.0 (zero boost) pressure ratio. If you try to make the turbo flow any more than that the SC will become a restriction and the turbo will draw a vacuum.

It would be the same scenario as compound turbos. You cant get more than what the big turbo flows.
BUT, we are talking about a BIG procharger, flowing over 2000 CFM, so the turbo merely compounds the SCs flow to a higher pressure. just like a 362 compounds a 480. The main difference is the SC is capable of producing boost @ idle.
The OP's idea is to run the SC and turbo in parallel, with a switch valve, so that whichever is producing the most boost wins.
Although I dont feel this is the best method, it is feasible and has been done.$.02

So then your saying I could use the turbo as the atmospheric charger and still run boost through the procharger?

You could, but you would have to modify the front cover on the ProCharger to accept boost. They're not designed to, and I think compounding with them will pop the front compressor cover off...

I've also thought about the supercharger being a restriction, and I think this setup would work the best with a smaller turbo, big supercharger, and loose torque converter, so the blower always stays ahead of the turbo, so to speak.

Back