Professional stereo guys...questions on quality

TANKS 250

Hey guys...look at me..
There are a couple of you that have changed your stereo's enough times, and have spent more money on all the changes, that you could have bought another truck...I need your input.

....here is where it gets tricky.

This is for my 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO(sharknose)...

I'm keeping the stock Harmon Kardon head unit, I only want to change the (4) speakers and add a Amp....all for under $800.

Here is the other tricky part...Amp physical size has to remain small, and not draw to much power(bike charging system is 45amps).

Some other people have already installed RF PBR300.4 or Arc Audio 125.4 into their bikes(inside fairing) with awesome results.

This is what I'm looking at:

(4) Polk Audio MM6501UM 6.5", 40hz-25khz, 125watt component with built in X-over(saves space)...$220 x 2
(1) Rockford Fosgate PBR300.4, 75watts x 4...$170

Polk MM6501um stats:...click "tech specs" for more info

Polk Audio - Mobile Monitor Series - Mobile / Marine Speakers

RF PBR 300.4 stats:...click "specs" for more info

PUNCH Amplifiers - PBR300X4 - Rockford Fosgate®

...Keeping in mind... size limitations, current draw, and price range...do you think this is a good match(speaker/amp)?

The Rockfords have been getting great reviews. Ideally, you will hide it in the most vibration resistant area. If hard mounting on the bike, try to use rubber isolation feet to help reduce vibration.

Does your HK deck have rca outputs? Or are you going to need a line output converter?

The Arc Mini is also another great amp, a little bit more pricey, but worth the money.

If I had to choose between the polk and the rf....rf gets my vote.

Rich seems to be the resident stereo guy, but IMO I'd look for durability more than perfect sound on a bike. I've had good luck with Polk stuff when I was playing with stereos but that was quite a while ago.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Rich seems to be the resident stereo guy, but IMO I'd look for durability more than perfect sound on a bike. I've had good luck with Polk stuff when I was playing with stereos but that was quite a while ago.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Rico is a little busy, I already talked to him....he'll drop by later..

...I'm still waiting on THATpreston....whom I'm told works on stereo's for bikes.

i have done a bunch of baggers.the most recent on has two of the rf amp you posted. all polk mids and highs and two 6" polk subs, one in each bag. the customer picked all the stuff out and brought it to us and it sounds like hammered doo-doo. for such a small amp they are pretty power hungry and they were killing the charging system on the bike. it was all the rf's could do at wide open on the sub side to even move the 6's. in the end we put some cheaper subs in and pulled the gains back to make the system live.

the one we are doing right now has the stock hk head unit, hog tunes tweet pod, hog tunes replacement fairing speakers, and h-d's speaker bag lid setup. it honestly sounds better than the setup explained above on factory power! we are doing a ton of other stuff to the bike in the shop right now (ness hot legs, billet calipers, coastal wheels, custom paint...ect.) and the customer doesn't want to go super wild on everything just a good all around custom bagger.

We just started selling the RF amp. For the bikes, I don't think there is anything better available. It comes with a cable for input that starts out as a speaker wire then goes into an adapter that has RCA connections. If you have RCA connections, just plug in. If you don't, cut where indicated and go speaker level. Small enough that it will mount on top of your head unit. Awesome.

I've used Polks and have had great luck. Polk is marine rated so exposure isn't an issue. I'm wanting to try some MB Quart next. Have a bagger coming in maybe next week for this new setup.

Last edited:
i have done a bunch of baggers.the most recent on has two of the rf amp you posted. all polk mids and highs and two 6" polk subs, one in each bag. the customer picked all the stuff out and brought it to us and it sounds like hammered doo-doo. for such a small amp they are pretty power hungry and they were killing the charging system on the bike. it was all the rf's could do at wide open on the sub side to even move the 6's. in the end we put some cheaper subs in and pulled the gains back to make the system live.

the one we are doing right now has the stock hk head unit, hog tunes tweet pod, hog tunes replacement fairing speakers, and h-d's speaker bag lid setup. it honestly sounds better than the setup explained above on factory power! we are doing a ton of other stuff to the bike in the shop right now (ness hot legs, billet calipers, coastal wheels, custom paint...ect.) and the customer doesn't want to go super wild on everything just a good all around custom bagger.

I've heard Hog Tunes vs Polks on the same bike...no comparison....Polk by a landslide.

...Hog Tunes and J&M Rokkers are overrated and OVERPRICED....

I equate Hog tunes and J&m Rokkers to Banks...they are better than stock, but there is far better options out there for less money.

Last edited:
Just so I understand. You want to power your door speakers with the amp?

the hog tunes stuff isnt really that overpriced when you buy wholesale. now J&m, im with you yes they are overpriced paper weights. If you are just going with replacement sets/components the rf amp will work good, when you start adding subs into the mix is where they struggle. at full tilt they would pull 26-30 amps a piece off the charging system. we have also installed one of these in a saddlebag and worked really well

JL Audio M700/5 5-channel marine amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 240 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Just so I understand. You want to power your door speakers with the amp?

I don't see no doors

pg_cvfltruse_dom_bs.jpg

the hog tunes stuff isnt really that overpriced when you buy wholesale. now J&m, im with you yes they are overpriced paper weights. If you are just going with replacement sets/components the rf amp will work good, when you start adding subs into the mix is where they struggle. at full tilt they would pull 26-30 amps a piece off the charging system. we have also installed one of these in a saddlebag and worked really well

JL Audio M700/5 5-channel marine amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 240 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

I'm not going to run subs...just 4 component speakers...so I only need the one amp,...and it will be installed in my fairing..I don't want to lose any saddlebag or tourpac space

Have you ever thought of trying Realm Audio's 6.5's?

Run them in the rear doors of the Dodge and I love the sound.

Back