Project Underdog Officially Hooks

hpprose

In the Dark
Well, the wife hooked Saturday with the TTTPA.

We are still trying to get the bugs worked out and ended up shutting her down about 3/4 of the way down the track. My wife was a little anxious and left before she had built much boost, but all and all the truck did pretty well.

I was worried that with it being an 04 Ford, the front end was going to bounce. Luckily, it never did.

For those that don’t know what Project Underdog is, check out Diesel World Magazine, pulling 101.

I would, also, like to say Thank you to Lubeowner!

Jeremy, was kind enough to highlight some of the issue with the Fords that we should address before pulling. THANK YOU!!

I'm glad to see you finally got to hook Chad and Nicole! I'll see you guys on Saturday!

Yeah, she hooked and I watched :( .

I missed half of the pull walking to the side lines.

Sorry no pics. The wife left before I could get to the side lines and then I had to huff it down the track to let her know where to shut her down.

Hopefully we will be able to get a few photos this weekend in Alverado.

Hooked again yesterday.

This was my wife's second pull and she isn't used to any of this. I told her to pull in 2nd gear, which was way to low of a gear and she was on the rev limiter for most of the pull. 6.0's with oversize injectors (205's and larger) like to spit the low pressure oil pump gears out the front cover when you are on the rev limiter. So, as soon as I realized that she wasn't shifting up a gear, I ran out there to tell her to shut it down. All said and done, we stopped about where we planned, just not quite the way we wanted. This was still only a test run for us.

It was a good experience and I think we learned a little more. Our first pull was last weekend and we had a very minor tune in the truck. We were trying to figure out how everything would hold up. This pull, we put a much more aggressive tune in it, and again were trying to figure out how the truck was going to handle the power. I would estimate we were in the mid 500 hp range last night. Much more power than I had anticipated and I choose the wrong gear. After watching Butch pull out the back door, I figured they were going to change two gears on the sled. That would have loaded the truck much quicker and a lower gear would be advised. The guy in front of us didn’t have the power (which again, I didn’t realize) and did a very short pull. I figured he pulled the wrong gear so I told my wife to pull in 2nd. 3rd would have been a much better choice. I'm still trying to figure out what gear to pull in.

The rear of the truck squatted as expected (I didn't have any air in the air bags) and the front end didn't bounce or shutter at all. So, I think we will be able to pull the rest of the year without having to worry about adding front traction bars. That's fantastic! The rest of the truck seemed to handle the power very well. Our EGT's were only at 1100 and considering what we were doing, that's pretty low. I would assume that if we were in 3rd, our EGT's would only be a few hundred degree's higher. So, this combination that I have in the truck seems to be doing very well.

Here is a video of last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXtWxqpH4t4

Back