Prop shaft bolts

nilsson

I have lost the Prop shaft bolts.
The bolt from the prop shaft yoke to the flange of the transfer case. Is that some special bolts or only higher grade standard bolts?
Have it happen fore someone else, that these came loose during driving, or is it me that are very unlucky?

Regards

Hello.
Unfortunately, when the prop shaft loosen, it made a crack in the transfercase.
How can i identify the case, to try to find a similar used one?
Is the alu-cast in the case of good weldable quality?

The truck is a 1997 12v 3500.

Best Regards

There should be a round metal tag on the back of the case to identify it.

I have used grade 8 bolts in place of the factory ones with no issue.

There should be a round metal tag on the back of the case to identify it.

I have used grade 8 bolts in place of the factory ones with no issue.

Thanks.
Did you had or know about issues with original bolts?

I mig welded one back together on my personal vehicle and it lasted about a year of normal driving 15,000 miles approx. horrible to get clean enough to weld. the replacement cost pieces are available from the dealer for pretty reasonable. I don't remember exactly but it was under 200 for back half and the cone piece with the bushing and seal.

if the round tag is missing the 241ld is different from the 241hd in the front half specifically
it has a 6 bolt PTO cover on the passenger side.

make sure u joints and carrier bearing are in top shape as they can cause the vibration the loosened the bolts in the first place. also a little blue loctite on the rear yoke bolts.
I usually get a grade 8 SAE or metric equivalent with a flange head so it takes a smaller wrench or socket.

I mig welded one back together on my personal vehicle and it lasted about a year of normal driving 15,000 miles approx. horrible to get clean enough to weld. the replacement cost pieces are available from the dealer for pretty reasonable. I don't remember exactly but it was under 200 for back half and the cone piece with the bushing and seal.

if the round tag is missing the 241ld is different from the 241hd in the front half specifically
it has a 6 bolt PTO cover on the passenger side.

make sure u joints and carrier bearing are in top shape as they can cause the vibration the loosened the bolts in the first place. also a little blue loctite on the rear yoke bolts.
I usually get a grade 8 SAE or metric equivalent with a flange head so it takes a smaller wrench or socket.

Thanks.
Will check price on new parts.

Regards

Back