Propane Injection vs Water/Meth on a CAT

probablecause

First post here so go easy on me. I have seen the numerous articles on Water/Meth and also read the articles on Propane injection. I am looking for more get up and go while getting onto the freeways out here in Southern California with many short onramps. It is my understanding that Water/Meth is good for the open road (as is propane) but for instant HP (not a lot), propane would be the better way to go.

I have a CAT 3116e (not mechanical) on my 97 tow vehicle which is used to pull my 40 foot toy hauler. I am not looking for top speed but the thing needs help to get up to speed a little quicker. I have scoured the search engines for 3116e upgrades but nobody makes a harness or anything. I can get my computer reporgrammed but am looking at a 1000.00 to do it. Thus, propane seems to be the way to go.

Any suggestions other than get a new engine, etc. would be appreciated.

What is it rated at now?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Cat told you a G to rerate it, or was that a private guy?

I wonder if a fuel temp resistor would do anything.

3116e is junk. They barely hold together with stock power.

Propane is the way to go for a power boost.

You haven't made any posts to ignore noob.

While this series cat engines don't stand up as well as equivalent cummins models imho, they do have a considerable presence in the commercial market, propane is a whole different problem, search: why does propane make an engine go boom? timing

I think your best chance in this case would be to use propane along with water injection (NOT water/meth). The propane injection is going to cause higher peak pressure, and a higher peak pressure rise. Water injection will serve to extend combustion duration, and make it a little easier on your engine. Along with this, it would be beneficial to advance timing a little too, as the propane injection will retard phasing (I know this sounds counter-intuitive). For a cheap way to slightly increase timing, maybe you could modify the pick up ring?

I'm not sure you could do both propane and water injection for much less than 1k though.

--Eric

Back