Proxes and Snow

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
Anyone have experience with proxes in the snow really want to get proxes on my truck but living in Colorado brings quite a bit of snow on the roads. If I have to I will buy two sets of tires but that will get old changing every season. Any one drive proxes in the snow? Howd they do?

IMG_0023.jpg

Can be done......

My wife has them on her Tahoe and I have drivin thorugh some nasty storms and they seem to do fine.
Pics2008031.jpg

I've got them on my SRT8 Jeep. Though not quite as good as the OE Goodyear all seasons in snow, I found them adequate. They don't track quite as well, but traction and their ability to get moving was just as good, IMO. As RD said, It can be done...

Width of the tire plays a big factor in how well a vehicle will drive in the snow. Wider is not better.

I'm guessing the whole reason you're looking at the Proxes in the first place is to go a little wider and get some better traction on the street/strip??

That and the fact that you'll likely need an aftermarket set of wheels to get that width (that will get boogered up in the snow and salt) lead me to recommend another set of wheels for those Proxes tires. Get a good set of 18's or 20's and shoe em with the Proxes. Put your stockers back on for the snow. Keep your new set shiny and save that Proxes rubber for the months when snow won't make you waste it. $.02

Seasonal tire swaps are only 32 lugnuts. If you don't want to do it, most tire shops will for a small fee. If you got the new wheels there, many will do it gratis.

Last edited:
Ok well first off I don't have stockers to run. I am planning on hitting the strip more this summer and have bald 315/70/17 BFG a/t now. I am swapping wheels to a 9" wide 20 so I would have to swap tires on the rims each season. If I had a different set of wheels wouldn't really be a problem. I think I will just try and run them and see how they do and go from there. Either way I am going to want proxes for the summer. Thanks for the insight though

Sure did had no complaints didn't realize that was you Kyle. You will be OK with the proxies as long as you stay on the roads

Back