PSI of turbo oil drain?

Goolsbymd

Im in a pinch right now and im wondering if I can just take a hack saw, hack off the turbo mount fitting off the old drain tube, hose clamp a hose onto it and into the block? Or would the PSI be to much pressure?

Thanks wasn't sure if it some how got pressurized or was just gravity drained.

i got like 4 hose clamps on mine cause i was in a pinch and havent had a chance to get the CR flexible one. holding for 4 months now.

turbo drains are low pressure and marginal flow. If their is any amount of pressure in the return line you have issues

and then it connects to the nipple in the block via hose and clamps

I thought he was referring to the whole shebang.

I really wish they would have done the whole thing hose, would make it a lot easier to hook it back up.

turbo drains are low pressure and marginal flow. If their is any amount of pressure in the return line you have issues

I think you've got the flow thing wrong. They need to flow well or else you will have issues. Pressure is the resistance to flow so if it doesn't flow well you will build pressure. That is why the drain line needs to be so big.

If there is a lack of flow/pressurized oil return line, the oil will typically get pushed out the seals in the turbo.

I thought he was referring to the whole shebang.

I really wish they would have done the whole thing hose, would make it a lot easier to hook it back up.

I always cut them in half, cut an inch or so outof them, and use hose and clamps to join them.

makes installing an S300 MUCH easier :)

it is a drain so there should be no pressure unless you have blow by which is pushing back into the turbo.

it is a drain so there should be no pressure unless you have blow by which is pushing back into the turbo.

there is pressure because i thought the same thing and didnt worry about the gasket and it blew oil all over the place. even though you think it is just a drain you gotta remember the 60-80 psi of oil going through the turbo is coming out the other side of it into that tube.

Red RTV and gasket is on mine, only used the RTV for the ease of the gasket being held in place while I maneuvered the flange into place

oh absolutely, that hot/thin black oil will find its way out!

whatever crankcase pressure is will be pushing on the oil

Back