pulling front headlight.

02Dodge2500HO

Ok This might sound like a stupid question but what is up with everybody pulling out one of their headlights for pulling. I mean I just don't get. Its not like you are going fast enough down the track for it to a ram air effect and force more air in to your air intake. Has anyone actually done any testing to prove that helps. I guess people do it just to look cool heck both of haisley's truck have both of their headlights in. I know mainly its duramaxes that do it but every once in a while you see a couple of dodges and a ford with the headlight removed. Maybe somebody has some facts that it works but I think it is just stupid.

Ok This might sound like a stupid question but what is up with everybody pulling out one of their headlights for pulling. I mean I just don't get. Its not like you are going fast enough down the track for it to a ram air effect and force more air in to your air intake. Has anyone actually done any testing to prove that helps. I guess people do it just to look cool heck both of haisley's truck have both of their headlights in. I know mainly its duramaxes that do it but every once in a while you see a couple of dodges and a ford with the headlight removed. Maybe somebody has some facts that it works but I think it is just stupid.

I honestly dont see it being an advantage if there looking for "ram air" im sure you arnt going to be hitting 120mph+ where its actually functional pulling...:hehe:

you're not cool unless you pull a head light:hehe:

its got to be good for 50 HP

Ease of intake plumbing?

Plus it looks mean, like a hood stack or duals without dually fenders.

It's not for the ram air effect, it's for getting good cool air into the engine. The reason duramaxes do it the most is because the air inlet is right behind the headlight. With the AFE intake on mine and the headlight out you could almost change the air filter with the hood shut, that's how straight of a shot the air has into the intake. I agree it looks stupid, I even make fun of myself when I do it. But every little bit helps and you can win or loose by a 10th of inch. So when it's allowed I do it.

if they dont run the intake tube out through the headlight (most dont) then there getting very little if any more cold air than with the headlight in.

it might help if you plumbed your intake out the hole so you get fresh air

Well you guys do what you want, ill keep takin my headlight out no matter how dumb it looks or whatever. Like J said when things come down to a tenth of an inch..ill take whatever I can get.

It's not for the ram air effect, it's for getting good cool air into the engine.

Yup. Sled pulling is a sport that is sometimes determined by 1/10th of an inch. So every little bit helps. There are several trucks around here that have pulled the passenger side headlight and ran the intake tube to the outside of the truck.

i run one out i figure the cooler air might make me some extra hp needed for the extra distance . but my truck doest run that good anyways just want to look cool like the duramax guys.

youre right every little bit helps and everybody is always looking for an edge. so why doesent someone try to build a intake that actualy extends out under the bumper or back into the cowl area like the scotty2 and put the filter where it will actualy suck cold air.

because if they did they would want an arm and a leg for it !!! and then trying to prove that it makes any hp . that and there are to many variable turbos, truck models, better just try to rig up your own would be the cheaper route. i did my own . just like i was the FIRST to make a hood stack in a ctd and now look whats happening. there on everything from pro mods to street trucks. i should have patented it .

You can take a headlight out of a duramax in about 15 seconds, pretty neat design actually. Pull two long rods out from the top and out it comes. Atleast the one I looked at did.

I suppose if it was that easy on my dodge I would do it too. However, that would just let my passenger battery get cool air...

Yea, the only trucks i've seen it done on is duramax's because because the headlight's so easy to take out, and the intake's right behind the headlight. And yes GOT-Torque, all gm trucks have the two-pin design.

well i havnt won a pull this year got 4th place at ts and eaton 5th at stanford and a second at new castle ky . 2nd at franklin unlimited single and 3rd 2.8 at franklin . have not got enough hp.

well i havnt won a pull this year got 4th place at ts and eaton 5th at stanford and a second at new castle ky . 2nd at franklin unlimited single and 3rd 2.8 at franklin . have not got enough hp.

LOL, not necessarily. Other people just have more! Besides running around with Coppess what do you expect?

Back