Pulling tomorrow night...need some advice

sam hain

Pulling with truck in my sig, have a built 48 with billet single disk TC, stock shafts, high pressure valve body, raybestos clutches. Trans rebuild has about 6,000 miles on it. I'm running 285 BFG KO's, other than a smarty jr and 4'' TBE I'm all stock.

Got a couple questions...

- my '05 doesn't have an OD lock out only tow/haul, should I use tow/haul?
- what gear do I pulling? D or 2nd?
- I'm currently running the JR on the 100hp tune, should I drop it down to the tow tune?

2nd gear without converter control. Keep them rpm up to cut down on converter slip!

if its a loose track you can run 3rd but you will have to disconnect the od wire on the trans harness.

Floor it and drive straight for around 300ft and you got it!

With stock shafts, id be leary of a lockup switch pulling. Locking the converter is the only way to do good with an auto IMO, but if you'd rather drive the truck home than break trying to win, then id say just put it in 2nd gear and let it do its thing.

seems best to keep it in 4 low 2nd when you go to 3rd you just lose out .

I somewhat agree with this. Though you don't get the ground speed in 2nd and 4 low and top out quickly with a "mostly stock truck". I pulled with my stock 05 a year ago and didn't find a sweet spot as far as gearing.. Now I have 3rd lock-out and feel this would help in building ground speed yet not bogging the motor, still using 4 low.

I never got got enough rpms in 3rd in my work stock truck. Now if you are making 8-900 hp I think you can pull 3rd with the additional power. My truck bites hard with 6 new 33x12.50 STS on it. On a race sled with a loose track I got to 3rd once but it still never wound tight. I should have down shifted at the end and didn't. Every truck is different.

Back