Pump timing & reading a dial indicator correctly

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
For someone who is handicapped with numbers & definitely has a weakness with decimals. Could someone give me a crash course with reading a dial indicator for adjusting the timing on a 12V

I bought JD's timing kit off eatsoot.com (It's in inches)

I have a 160 pump that needs to read a lift number of 0.303 (30* timing) The dial will do over 10 full turns to show 1" of travel. So to get to 0.303 on the dial am I assuming correctly that it would need to do 3 full rotations and an additional 3 lines ( if each line indicated .001in)

Also in the directions from JD it says to turn the engine 1/4 turn counterclockwise or until the indicator stops dropping. Then turn clockwise until you get to TDC. Note the lift numbers on the indicator to find your timing on the chart. On my truck it never made it even close to one rotation. It was at 53 which im assuming was 0.053? Which is lower then the chart goes or below 8* timing?

Where is the starting point for adjusting the injection pump timing? Do you have to get the pump to the inner base circle where the indicator stops moving. Zero out the dial indicator and start from there measuring the inches of lift?

Lastly...I have nobody to help hold tools or hold the motor for me while loosening or snugging the bolts up. Does anyone have tips or tricks to holding the motor still without breaking a gear? I bought Fleece performance 's little doo-dad for turning over the motor (bolts to the balancer) That didn't last long! one slip with the wrench and their barring tool split the sides out :doh:

Send me your number and a good time to call. It's way easier to explain over the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a proper barring tool that fits into the engine adapter. It holds the engine firm while torquing the pump nut.

Set the dial on the plunger. Bar the engine over until the pump is on base circle. Set the dial to zero (I don't know what kind of dial Jesse sells. If it has a small dial that reads in .1" increments, take note of where it is reading. I like to set any dial at around .5" on the small dial unless the travel dictates otherwise). Bar the pump to the desired lift, remove the gear.

The pump will likely jump backwards when you pop the gear. You can reset the gear very loosely and reset the pump to the desired plunger lift. If you plan to do several timing adjustments in the future, take the time to build a turning tool that you can attach to the pump shaft. Or buy an adjustable gear.

Jd's kit description

49d574be96246a4dd9dfe214c4c3d63f.jpg

I got an adjustable pumpgear and cover from Jesse and he was real good about answering questions over the phone about advancing the timing. Hes out west so after you get off work you still have tech support :Cheer:

Back