Pump tune

tornado112

i'm doing a bunch of work to the truck
4k gsk
adjustable timing gear
billet cover
Spring and injectors 5x14

I started with the pump and the 4k gsk. I never installed one before, and I think all went well but... I wanted to test the revs on the truck before I went on installing the rest of the parts. The truck has no rad no air cooler, just the dampener and tach hooked up.
When I start it starts and idles at 800, but the truck will not free rev in neutral above 2300.

My springs to tight?
Everything is fine but because the turbo is connected I cant pull high rpms?
Just install the rest of the parts?

Any thoughts thanks guys

Ok thanks, I was thinking they were to tight.
Add 2 clicks to each side? or go a bit more

You can start with 2 on each. Then add them till its right

When I was installing them last night i went with 5 clicks. On the one side i got 5 clicks easy but the other side 5 was a struggle.
I want to make sure I'm counting the right way,I heard people say you get a click every quarter turn but I'm getting clicks every half, how do you count the clicks?

Do you have a caliper you can measure the protruding stud through the retainer? Make sure they are close to the same on each side. Keep turning them in till it revs to what you want or till the engine revs on its own. If it revs on its own then you need to back it off a click on each side. Doesn't matter if they are 1/4, 1/2 or full turn clicks.

I have caliper but its too tall. I left all brackets and fuel shutoff in place. I got the front of the truck stripped down and snuck in to the pump from the front of the truck.
I'm going to back the nut off and start from scratch. How many threads do have exposed when your done 3 or 4

When it hits 2300 is it puffing white smoke and hiccuping? That's what mine did because the turbo wasn't hooked up. Plus I'd back them off loose again and start over and having the shutoff and linkage out of the way will make it a lot easier to see and feel the clicks. After the first initial soft click I went 4 more. This yielded me full fueling till 3800.

Last edited:
White smoke and hicupp/breaking up is right on. When I was reving i started to think that i was dumping fuel with no air and was making a rich condition where i was bogging the engine. I was trying to cheat a little bit by not putting it all back, and then finding out i fubared.

With the turbo disconnected, you're wasting your time trying to tune the governor springs other than idle speed & start-ability.

Many trucks run rough unloaded at high rpm free rev that actually run perfect under a load (with boost).

The only 12v I've had that could free rev perfectly was my 98. All the others pop and sputter without a load on the engine but run fine while driving.

Guys thanks a bunch!!!
I really needed to hear from others on this who have experience. I didn't want to go around chasing my tale playing with the pump, especially if i installed the springs correctly. But like Rattler said the "white smoke and breaking up" had me worried that I fubared.Come tomorrow 4 oclock I'll put the IC on and plumb everything.

Back