Pump upgrades before swap

flcrawler

I will be picking up a 180 pump this weekend. What kind of mods should be done to it since it is out of the truck and easier to work on?

So far this is what I have been looking at.4k or 5k GSK maybe even "Hold My Beer" springs,fuel plate 100 or 10, and rack plug. Is the rack plug on pure diesel powers website the right one? Any changes or anything else is always welcome.

Is this being done at a shop, or at home? If the latter, I would hold off on the GSK until its running, simply to diagnose any issues that may arise. I would much rather start with a pump you know runs well on the truck before messing with it. Thats just me, though. The rack plug you would want is the 2095 plug.

I would send it off to be maxed out and calibrated. And if you are planning on putting a gsk in it, have the pump shop do it.

Either have a pump shop put the mods in and bench it or leave it stock till you get it running on the truck so you don't have to deal with any issues from aftermarket parts.

What are your plans for the truck? Drag racing, sledpulling or just a fun daily driver? If Sledpulling I would go with the 5Kgsk and the 4 with the other 2... Also, what charger are you running? That will dictate how much fuel you will need.

I'm just shooting for a fun driver. It may hook a sled at some point. Right now it still has the stock charger, plan to upgrade to twins after the p-pump. Something small and quick spooling because it's a manual.What would be the average price range to have a good pump worked over at like cds or another good shop?

CDS quoted me $800 to $1200 (max out pump, 5k springs, lighten gov,) the $1200 is incase your pump needs some work.

If you want a fun daily driver I would keep your stock charger and just put an s400 under it... something in the 71-72mm range. You'll keep the fast spooling characteristics of your stock charger, make signifigantly more HP and still be able to tow with reasonable EGT's depending on pump tuning and ijector size. As far as pump work, you can get a reasonable amount of fuel from them without sending it to a shop. I added a 0 plate, 5K springs(with help) tuned the AFC and starwheel all by myself and I will soon be modding the AFC to get me more rack travel to get even more fuel in the upper RPMs. I was told when I'm done I will have around 425-435cc's of fuel with my 180 pump. The plenty for a strong daily driver IMO... If you want to send it off though for peace of mind I would expect a minimum of $1000, with 2-3K possible depending on how crazy you want to go.

I recommend member CTDYoungGun for the pump work, he has been immensely helpful with my pump. You can also send your pump to him and you won't be dissappointed.

I sent a pump to a local Bosch shop and had it put on their stand and the barrels turned and balanced for well under a grand.

Hell it was under $500 and it's running great and puts out 445cc with just a 100 plate and turned barrels. :D

the pupm shop we use just told me that they would turn my barrels and balance the pump with my inj. for 200$

I wanna say it was $300...

If it's not a max effort truck, you don't really need every last cc that one of the big shops may be able to wring out over a local shop.

It was $300 nick and it's running just fine on my rig.

And I agree, if your just looking for someone to turn the barrels and balance the pump out with the mods on it then a local shop can do that with no problem and for a much cheaper price. If your going for all out power then I'd recommend going to Columbus diesel or whoever else you want to use.

I put in 5gsk while the pump was on the bench and just set them at 3 clicks. (CDS instructions say 5 clicks) Also put in delivery valves and 100 Plate. Youll be fine as long as you leave the AFC alone till after you get it running and drive it some.

I modded mine before I put the pump on. I'd be more hesitant to install a GSK before installing the pump than modding the AFC or installing DV's. At least the AFC/DV won't effect idle quality or driveability like an improperly setup GSK.

There you go... you can do it all on the bench before install.

Back