Push button heater grid

Opinions Vary

Due to the high power draw from the heater grid I would like to install a push button switch to run the heater grid at start up only. Turn key to on, push the button in and hold. Light goes off, start the truck and let go of the button. Does anyone see this being a problem, done before, or just delete the heater grid all together.

You could use oil pressure switch, and put it in series with the coil on the grid heaters.

A push button was how it was done on my K30 with a 12V swapped into it. Worked well. On stupid cold mornings you just had to keep your foot on the pedal a bit to keep it running if it wasn't plugged in.

I'm curious about wiring it up to activate with the oil pressure though. I like that idea a lot.

You could use oil pressure switch, and put it in series with the coil on the grid heaters.

Im not familiar with the oil pressure switch and what its exact purpose is. If you could give me background on the switch and when it turns on and off that would be great.

Im not familiar with the oil pressure switch and what its exact purpose is. If you could give me background on the switch and when it turns on and off that would be great.

A switch wired into your oil pressure sensor. When the truck makes oil pressure the switch cuts power to the coil so your grid heater no longer functions.

No you'll have to wire one into the oil pressure sensor and into the grid heater coil. Your truck makes oil pressure after about 15 seconds of run time.

I would get a separate switch, plumb it into the filter housing. They are relatively cheap and could get a few different ones to get the PSI you want.

No you'll have to wire one into the oil pressure sensor and into the grid heater coil. Your truck makes oil pressure after about 15 seconds of run time.

Most trucks will actually make oil pressure while cranking... if they didn't the crank and rod bearings would be toast, especially if it ran for 15 seconds with ZERO pressure at every start up... That would not be good for longevity.

Due to the high power draw from the heater grid I would like to install a push button switch to run the heater grid at start up only. Turn key to on, push the button in and hold. Light goes off, start the truck and let go of the button. Does anyone see this being a problem, done before, or just delete the heater grid all together.

Second dumbest idea I've heard today.

I've got a mechanical oil pressure gauge that says your an idiot.

Last edited:
Manual button, easiest way to do it, just hit it for a few seconds before startup. Mine is disabled and the truck still started fine at 10* without being plugged in.

Because your truck makes oil pressure as soon as it starts to crank?... I don't know how much more blunt they can get

My question would be WHY? Why do you want to disable the factory system that decides the proper duration by the IAT (Intake Air System)? It works just fine. Even does afterburns as you are warming up. Once your truck hits 15 MPH, no more grid heater cycles. What is the factory system detracting from?
If you mean Battery power, if you are having issued with the heaters draining your bateries, you NEED new ones.

Ed

If you are dead set on it, just put a push button switch to signal the existing relays. Don't over think an easy feat.....

My question would be WHY? Why do you want to disable the factory system that decides the proper duration by the IAT (Intake Air System)? It works just fine. Even does afterburns as you are warming up. Once your truck hits 15 MPH, no more grid heater cycles. What is the factory system detracting from?
If you mean Battery power, if you are having issued with the heaters draining your bateries, you NEED new ones.

Ed

Ed, When the heater grid cycles and the lights dim every electrical system on the truck is starving for juice. I have brand new batteries. The thing that worries me is my airdog. Everytime the grid cycles that poor pump sounds like is gargling welding slag back there haha. They are very tempermental systems, and once the truck is running there isn't a big need for them

Back