Putting in a Np271 in a 98 Stick Shift

98xtremcummins

Hey Guys. I'm wondering if anyone has put the 271 t-case in the second gen. dodges with a stick. I hear you have to cut the frame out and box it in. Any Pics. Any ideas. I know the autos pretty much bolt in. Tight but does fit.

It's very close, some guy's didn't have to notch theres, mine was just to close for comfort like 1/8" so I exstended the opening already there by like 1" is all no biggie.

BBD

Do a search, member "getblown5.9" did the swap & explained it really well.

did it no cutting shortend the rear drive shaft upgraded to 1480 yokes have been enjoying it now for 3 years

did it no cutting shortend the rear drive shaft upgraded to 1480 yokes have been enjoying it now for 3 years

Same thing that I did. You might have to modify the fuel lines if you are still running stock lines...

I had 1/2" gap to work with. I will say watch your front shaft for any play. For some reason I think the Tcase material is weak, so any slop in the shaft will result in a cracked housing.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the info. I was told to use the 241dhd but I think that I'll scap that thing with the horses That I'll be running. Also where do I find the 1480 rear slip yoke for the 271? Thanks again.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the info. I was told to use the 241dhd but I think that I'll scap that thing with the horses That I'll be running. Also where do I find the 1480 rear slip yoke for the 271? Thanks again.

any good driveline shop should be able to get one i got one from the dealer that had a balancer on it and the stupid thing came flying appart and caused problems if and when i redo it i will get a set up like on bbd1 with the bolt on yoke comeing off the tail shaft

I have about a 1/8" gap and didn't clearance it. Didn't have any probs last year. I also went with a flanged rear output.

Van Haisley doesn't speak very highly of the 271 tcase..

I however have 60+ hooks on mine with no issues, though mine is behind an auto.

Hey Garret. Brad from elk mound, Alot guys have had great luck with the 271's They seem alot stronger peaces inside when we have had them apart. Do you know anyone that has 1480 slip yokes for these???

Hey Garret. Brad from elk mound, Alot guys have had great luck with the 271's They seem alot stronger peaces inside when we have had them apart. Do you know anyone that has 1480 slip yokes for these???

Yeah I know they do, I have one myself buddy. :)

Van Haisley claims they have aluminum planets in them.. I've never had one apart so I'm not sure.

I have an extra 1480 slip yoke, but its probably going on Diva's truck. They are available from Dodge, though very expensive I guess.

So if i am able to break the output shaft on my 241 DLD, going to a 241 DHD isnt the way to go? I was told that should do just fine, but the 271 is even better?

241DHD is plenty strong, I have seen it hold up to 1000hp trucks sled pulling.

Make sure you get the DHD with the big output shaft. Just cause it has a PTO cover doesn't make it the big DHD.

Back