Q about water injection

BigWheel

I'm currently researching water injection and from what I can gather, you can lower EGT and pick up 30 or so horse with just water and around 70 on a 50/50 water/methanol mix.

seems like its pretty sweet, why does it seem that nobody runs that? the nuisance of constantly having to refill the water tank? half as effective as n2o but a fraction of the cost to run (n2o fills vs water/meth) and spray only good if you've got the fuel to burn.

all the propaganda I've read is from people trying to sell me a kit so i'm wondering what the downsides are and why its not more popular? seems like it'd be more daily driver friendly opposed to spray being race only type thing.

thoughts?

Seems to me that it would be good because it takes a lot of energy to boil water, so correspondingly it would drop EGTs with the right amount. Problem side is too much and your heads will automatically unbolt themselves.

I'd also think this would only really be effective if you're pushing a fair bit more power than a stock engine. I've thought about it for mine, and I'm stock, but I like to tinker with things. I don't know if I'd believe the HP gains, unless it's from a reduction in boost temperature, and allowing you to pack in more air because it's more dense.

I'm sure some guys on here have used it.

I don't know if I'd believe the HP gains, unless it's from a reduction in boost temperature, and allowing you to pack in more air because it's more dense.

That's what the propaganda says, cools down the intake charge for more density. Snow Performance has dyno charts for a stock 6.0 showing ~70hp gain on 50/50. even if you only got 30 on straight water, that seems like it'd be a nice little boost to get up to the 450rwhp watermark.

It'd be a pain to keep refilling the water bottle but water's a lot cheaper than n2o. Then you line yourself up with 3 tunes, fuel only, water, water+meth.

definitely warrants further research

I have snow water injection and love it. When i was running the edge juice/attitude and the bullydog triple dog stacked the egt's would sky rocket. I had three nozzles in it at the time and the temps wouldn't get any higher than about 1350 when truck pulling or drag racing. When i switched to the SCT i pulled one nozzle out and had it dynoed with just exhaust, intake, FASS 95/150, SCT, and water injecton. It made 435 hp. Now i only have one big nozzle in it and it doesn't get hot at all. Use windshield washer fluid, it has methanol in it. But only use the blue stuff.

blew headgasket on my 7.3 with coolingmist water/meth, they claim to have the most technology, and most advanced, but f it, nothin but a headache as far as, well, everything and cheapest i found methanol around was 5 bucks a gallon, and if its working right youll fly through it, but figure on payin 8 bucks a gallon, seems to be about the going rate

If you go much above a 50% mix the headgaskets will go faster than the truck!!!

Yeah that's why i use the blue windshield washer fluid. It has methanol in it but i think the percentage in like 20-25%. So the hp increase will be between running straight water and runnning a 50/50 mix of water and meth. I believe snow has the best system out there.

Sweet, good info. Trucks going in tomorrow for gears and then off to DJ for some looney tune goodness once they're broken in.

Should I get a special tune for water/meth injection?

No i don't think you need a tune for water injection. I don't have any, but ask DJ what he thinks.

im going to be making my own water injection kit. not so much worried about HP gains as i am about keeping EGTs in control. i sometimes tow a 6k lb boat to the lake with my Looney in and with 11x* air temps it gets hot quick. i can control it with my right foot but i loose a lot of speed. plus, im looking to step up to some bigger injectors later this year and want to run as much fuel as possible without going to big on the turbo. ill probably do like a 5-10% mix. $.02

Garrett

Back