Quadzilla surge under throttle

Cat992

I'm sure this has been addressed here before, but I can't find the thread
I have a 2000 3500 5 speed that's surging and bucking while cruising and under any kind of throttle input. I'm looking for custom tuning that eliminates this problem without losing much if any power. What settings do you have in your custom tunes that do not cause the surging or bucking? About to say to hell with it and just p pump it, but that's a last resort for me as this truck has almost 500k on it. Everything works as it should without the box set on kill. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

No you can fix it, you need to play with the settings under custom tuning it's been so long since I had my VP truck I can't remember the names.....

One is "CAN" I think? and I can't remember the other? There are MIN & MAX settings....try setting the MIN's at 20 and the MAX's at 80 and see if that straightens it out. It usually with make it better.....you may have to play with it a big to get it just right for your truck.

I'm sure this has been addressed here before, but I can't find the thread
I have a 2000 3500 5 speed that's surging and bucking while cruising and under any kind of throttle input. I'm looking for custom tuning that eliminates this problem without losing much if any power. What settings do you have in your custom tunes that do not cause the surging or bucking? About to say to hell with it and just p pump it, but that's a last resort for me as this truck has almost 500k on it. Everything works as it should without the box set on kill. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

So don't set it on kill...

Do you have the pulse?

4k box with i-quad. Set on kill or not it does it, just not as bad. Remove the box it doesn't do it at all. Has the latest reflash in it. Both my trucks have the i quad on it. The other truck has no problems with this

What else do you have on the truck then? Injectors or anything? Do you have the 4k box on the other truck or a regular box? The "custom tuning" is more like mild tweaking I think.

This truck Has bigger injectors 75 to 100 horse, but other than that they are identical trucks. Both manual, 3.55's, and airdogs. With settings the same one runs great, the other one bucks and surges

Both 4k though? I have both boxes and the 4k doesn't behave for me so I switch them back and forth.

Might just be the injectors making them act different then. As for settings, in my experience the difference between the "best settings" and the "worst settings" is only minor. I highly doubt you'll be able to fix this with settings. If I was you I'd get a regular box. Gives you so many more options, and why do you want a 4k box on a 500k mile truck?

The box has been on there for years, I just updated it. If you were to drive it the truck doesn't drive like it has 500k on it. Uses no oil, minimal blow-by, and interior is in great shape. BenM has driven this truck and for what it is it's nasty. If I can solve this problem without p pumping it that would make my day. For some reason I had this issue solved at one time then it came back. I'd love for this truck to make a million miles

Well I don't know. Maybe something wrong with the box, I hope not because if so your screwed.

Thanks for the help man. If anyone has any ideas to try please shoot them my way. If I stumble upon the fix I'll be sure to post it up

Are you saying that it just started the surging again after the update?

Yes sir. Setting were returned to where I had them. It was ok for a week or so then started surging

Exactlly what tune do you have on your box. There are only 2 tunes for the 4k boxes. The.factory tune and the ADR_4K_B4 tune. If you have a tune other then one of those on a 4k box it wont run right...

Other wise you cqn try lowering pump stretch, set pump and can mins to no lower then 20 and raise your maxes. Depending on how much timing your running bring it down 1 or 2 degrees. And lower the timing scale to 70% and raise it till it starts shuddering and youve found its limit. Do one at a time.

Back