Question about getting a sled started

Rattlin_Ram

Typically is it a better idea on tighter tracks to try and blow tires out and get them spinning asap when starting out off the line?

I've read about guys blowing the tires off vs. creeping out, just curious "in general" when is a good idea to start off hard, and when is it a good idea to creep it out slowly?

All of my pulls have been creep for a few feet then floor it. And these are all on fairly tight midwest tracks.

This is also with an auto, so I boost it up, then ease off the brake till the tires are rolling then giver 'er hell... Seems to work, but just wondering if there's a better way...

On a tight track like I was on over the weekend I held the brakes as hard as I could and got the turbo spooled, I let off at about 25psi of boost but then broke a shaft

it depends on the sled and track. A dead drag sled from the start you will probably want to creep out at first so you will get a good hook from the start, a high speed sled you can usually just give it hell from the get go on a tight, hard hooking track, but creep out on loose tracks.

I usually rev up to 3800 and start letting out on the clutch till boost comes up to about 20 then mat the go pedal and dump the rest of the clutch but at our hometown pull the sled is a drag sled and i should have went a gear taller and slipped more. My video thread will show how i did compared to my brother who went after me and won the pull. Tim

it depends on the sled and track. A dead drag sled from the start you will probably want to creep out at first so you will get a good hook from the start, a high speed sled you can usually just give it hell from the get go on a tight, hard hooking track, but creep out on loose tracks.

Not trying to hyjack, but how can you tell the difference between the 2 types of sleds?

Dead wieght sleds usually have alot less ground speed throughout all the classes, and some have the pan planted flat on the ground from the get go. Most also have a gradual "pulldown" at the far end because of the wieght box traveling closer to the front of the sled, thus putting more weight on the pan.

High speed sleds are just that. They tend to be alot easier to take off with, and at the far end when the pan drops, its alot like hitting a brick wall, depending on how much weight is in the weight box, and how fast the operator has the pan to drop.

Most Dead weight sled are all mechanical and have to have a big tractor or something to pull them back to the starting line, where as most high speed sleds are self propelled. Though I have seen the exact oppisit sleds too.

Back