question regarding drive pressure

morkable

Just Over Broke
Ok, if I understand this correctly, basically I want to run a boost guage in the exhaust manifold and compare this with my regular boost guage. I have 2 questions on this.

1) how do you put a boost line into the exhaust manifild without melting something?

2) I am expecting to be pushing close to 100psi, and I do have a 100PSI guage, but my other boost guage that I have is a 60psi, will this be enough to get an idea if everything is good, or do I need to get another 100psi guage?

Thanks

Kevin

take about 3 feet of the flexible copper pipping and coil it up then attach the nylon line from there to the gauge. the exhaust will not make it to the gauge it will push on the air that is in the line. if you use clear line to the gauge you can always check to make sure the soot is not getting to the gauge.

I you plan to do this short term as a test for a few weeks, buy a cheap 100 psi oil pressure gauge. Run 18" to 2' of copper line and then transition into nylon.

If you're going to run the gauge long term, best to buy a kit with larger coil of copper or stainless that comes with a steel wool filter of some sort to keep soot from traveling up the line to your "expensive" gauge.

Get another 100psi gauge also. Drive will be close to or a little more than boost.

Glenn, will I need to worry about it with the turbos I am getting?

Oh yeah remind Chris about that progressive controller,,, LOL,,

THanks

Kevin

You'll be shocked at how closely drive pressure is related to RPM.

FYI, it took two weeks for the soot to make it the 4' into my cheap sunpro oil pressure gauge. It never killed the gauge but I removed it after 3weeks of testing since it was temporarily mounted and just for research.

Long-term use requires stainless steel condensate coils & soot filters, and the boost tubing has to be blown out periodically.

TIPs(Large).jpg

Hard to see in this pic, but the primary TIP kit is barely visible behind the secondary compressor housing. Top turbo's identical drive pressure kit is easier to see.

Back