questions on Compounds

dennhop

I did read through the Tuning Twins thread, and I kind of understood some of it, but honestly a lot of it went waaay over my head. I just swapped out my primary turbo, was running an HT3B, paired with an S300, that started life as a PDR towing twin setup.

It spooled pretty good, as it was, and I could run it up past 60 lbs of boost on the gauge, (gauge at the time maxed at 60) the needle would start wrapping around. I went ahead and bought a new gauge, 100 psi boost gauge, and then my buddy sent me another primary.

The setup I'm running right now is the S300 (57/65/13cm) over a Schwitzer (72/95/26cm non wastegated).

Until I read through the Tuning Twins thread, I never realized that there was tuning to do on compounds-I got the truck with them on it. The S300 has an internal wastegate, but there's no adjustability on the wastegate rod-so I'm looking into getting that replaced to be able to tune my secondary.

I don't have a drive pressure gauge right now, and I'm in the process of getting an aluminum bung, so I can install an interstage boost gauge-I figured I'd use my old 60 lb gauge that's sitting in the garage for that.

Since I put the new primary on, I've noticed that the truck struggled to get to 60 lbs of boost, and I would be running 1500-1600 on the pyro by the time I got there.

I started out trying to increase my fuel pressure, thinking maybe I was starving it out on the top end, and I went ahead installed the Tork Tek ofv 060, a 40 psi airdog spring, as well as running a dual feed to the pump (160 CA model pump)

When that seemed to help keep from flatspotting at the top of the RPM's, but didn't help with pyro or boost, I started looking harder online, and came across the Tuning Twins thread...read through it a couple of times, and still have a few questions.

I tried pinching off my wastegate line today, for a short period of time, and I found that the boost hit a lot faster, and my pyro was lower, running around 1100 degrees at about 55 lbs of boost overall.

So my understanding is I need to increase the preload on the wastegate on my secondary, to make it stay closed longer, to increase the boost, which will in turn drive the primary turbine faster...

I know I need more info than that, ie the interstage boost, and eventually a drive pressure gauge, but for now, that's what I think I need to do, off of what I've read and talked to a few of my buddies. Am I on track, or waaay off?

Yes your on the right track. I adjusted my last set to have the wastegate on my secondary to start to open a 25psi of boost. If your wastegate is in a fixed position you could always try an adjustable boost elbow to limit the amount of boost going to the gate.

No, the new one was different from the HT3B...I'm not sure what the specs on an HT3B are off the top of my head.

73.5mm comps wheel and 26cm turbine housing. I was referring to the rotation of the turbo.

Back