Questions on the 6.7

LeroyVT

I have been a diehard 5.9 guy but I am considering a 2011 3500 mega cab. The mileage is a little high at 173k soi had a few questions. Is there anything I should worry about with those miles that quick? Any problems with the 6.7 I know it has all the deletes so I don't have to worry about the EGR. Finally it has a auto and all the dodge autos I have had suck unless they have been built. Much worry there? Thanks for any/all input.

the trans is much better stock vs. stock but still sucks IMO

they're a lot nicer than the 3rd gens. The engines are pretty trouble-free

I'm seeing in excess of 300k on some 2007-2008 junkyard engines from deleted trucks.
The 6.7 is a good engine without the crippling emissions devices it's saddled with at production.
Even the injector design is light years from any 5.9 injector and a much, much more reliable design.

If I could afford a 6.7 truck, I'd buy one, instead of just the engines out of them. :D

Mark.

My 08 has 172k, been deleted since 48k. I have had zero engine issues, it got an upgraded trans at 150k. I drive all over the country for work and it doesnt worry me one bit. I keep the fuel filters clean and run 5w40 full synthetic with fleetgaurd filters in it every 10k miles, idles like new.
Good luck!

If you're worried about it with that many miles it isn't that difficult to drop the pan and inspect the bearings while the motor is out. I would bet you find nothing wrong, but at worst the crank may need to be polished and a new set of fresh bearings wouldn't hurt. All in all a few hundred dollars is cheap insurance.

Back