Quick and dirty tow rig

First post in a very very long time.

I have an early 04 truck, mild built trans, single disc, billet input, shifts firm. It goes otr grossing 15,000-25,000. It does good, but could really use a little power bump to keep it going up hills without downshifting and screaming at 3k rpm all the way to top.

What will these do tune only? If I could hit 400/800 I'd be ecstatic. I know it'll never tow like my newer trucks, but it would be nice if it could keep up.

i think swole has atuner for sale would suit yer needs perfectly..smarty race tuner if he still got it...i can get him on facebook if ya want if you cant

I had no faith in the factory cooler after i did the trans in my 05 and saw temps creep every once in a while. While i don't tow heavy with the truck. It will occasionally have a JD 50G behind it, and I plow and salt all winter with it. I retrofitted a 6.0 cooler in the stock location 2 years ago and that helped tremendously with temps. This past summer i put a double deep mag hytec pan and eliminated the block heat exchanger and ran all 1/2 AN lines from the front cooler to the trans. So far so good with working it this winter. Highest temp Ive seen on my edge is 145.

Hi Mike, still drinking that shit beer PBR? Good to see you around either way.

Smarty will get you where you want, but I'd also like to suggest an Air-Dog or Fass pump to get the most out of your higher power settings. Unless you decide to just get the smarty jr.

Good to see you back, Mike. The 3rd Gen coolers are the only ones I’ve seen fail and mix coolant and tranny fluid, toasting the tranny.

i think swole has atuner for sale would suit yer needs perfectly..smarty race tuner if he still got it...i can get him on facebook if ya want if you cant

I saw that. I'll have to see what he wants for it. I was just going to have firepunk do an hp tune on it but if I can get a programmer cheap enough I'd be ok with that.

I had no faith in the factory cooler after i did the trans in my 05 and saw temps creep every once in a while. While i don't tow heavy with the truck. It will occasionally have a JD 50G behind it, and I plow and salt all winter with it. I retrofitted a 6.0 cooler in the stock location 2 years ago and that helped tremendously with temps. This past summer i put a double deep mag hytec pan and eliminated the block heat exchanger and ran all 1/2 AN lines from the front cooler to the trans. So far so good with working it this winter. Highest temp Ive seen on my edge is 145.

I was planning on doing away with the stock cooling system entirely and running an aux under the bed. Just didn't know how soon I needed to do it lol.

Hi Mike, still drinking that shit beer PBR? Good to see you around either way.

Smarty will get you where you want, but I'd also like to suggest an Air-Dog or Fass pump to get the most out of your higher power settings. Unless you decide to just get the smarty jr.

My beer budget has increased drastically in the last 10 years lol

Whats the difference between smarty and jr where one doesn't need a lift pump?

Good to see you back, Mike. The 3rd Gen coolers are the only ones I’ve seen fail and mix coolant and tranny fluid, toasting the tranny.

Thats great news. lol

im almost sure it was 250..you got his info still

Yup I bought it off him a few hours ago lol. SO looks like I have to do some refresher courses on smarty's.

Next problem. I'm experiencing pretty much the same issue as this guy.

48re noise between neutral and drive. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I'm going to order a cooler tonight, just need to decide which one. And I'll bypass the trans heater on the side of the block. If thats not it, what other issues could it legitimately be?

Is there a widely accepted best option for these? If not, I'll probably go derale, but I've always like mishimoto too. I can get the mishimoto at cost too bringing it pretty close to the derale in price.

https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-ram-2003-2009-59-67-cummins-transmission-cooler.html

Derale Cooling Products 13870 Derale Hyper-Cool Extreme Remote Fluid Coolers with Fan | Summit Racing

If i remember right, the Mishimoto took a 6.0 cooler style and made a drop in 3rd gen replacement.

Is that the one I linked to?

Damn Mike I don’t think you’ve posted since I joined this site haha have several old threads saved with good info from you.

I run a derale 65861. 125k btu and 755cfm fan. On at 165° off at 175° I believe. It was the largest I could find. Probably overkill but seems to work well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 0
Damn Mike I don’t think you’ve posted since I joined this site haha have several old threads saved with good info from you.

I run a derale 65861. 125k btu and 755cfm fan. On at 165° off at 175° I believe. It was the largest I could find. Probably overkill but seems to work well.

Overkill is what I'm after.

Hows it do running unlocked with weight behind it?

I have a sloppy ho of a torque converter and tow 3-4k at most and I think it’s only been over 200° going up my driveway. First gear up a half mile drive way thats ~500’ of elevation change. The fan moves a lot of air.

I have a sloppy ho of a torque converter and tow 3-4k at most and I think it’s only been over 200° going up my driveway. First gear up a half mile drive way thats ~500’ of elevation change. The fan moves a lot of air.

Awesome I think I'm sold.

Back