Quick bump stop ?

Newdieselguy

Captain sleeps alot
Is it better to just space the stock rubber one down or should i build one with soild pipe instead

Stops

I would just space the stock rubber one down but cut the rubber off so that you got about a 1/4 inch left. That way if you are running a little clearance when you are driving around its not banging the axle and making noise. Thats how I did mine. The metal does protrude into the rubber a bit so take that into account. Best of all make them have a set of holes so when you are not pulling you can raise them up and repin them.

If your just wanting to pull one time to see how you like it, Just take some 2x4" rect. tubing and cut them to the same length between the bump stop and the axle. When you get to the pull just jack the back of the truck up some and slip the rubber of the factory bump stops inside the tubing and then let the tubing rest on the axle tube.

Edit: Just seen your truck was a 97 model. The tubing will rest on the little kick out piece on your factory leaf spring spacers.

I have also seen guys just use a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 wood block to get bye until they build a regular set.

If your just wanting to pull one time to see how you like it, Just take some 2x4" rect. tubing and cut them to the same length between the bump stop and the axle. When you get to the pull just jack the back of the truck up some and slip the rubber of the factory bump stops inside the tubing and then let the tubing rest on the axle tube.

Edit: Just seen your truck was a 97 model. The tubing will rest on the little kick out piece on your factory leaf spring spacers.

I have also seen guys just use a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 wood block to get bye until they build a regular set.

I have done both of these. They worked for being a quick fix. I then added different sized square/rectangle tube to make the thickness I wanted and bolted the stock bump stops to them. I get my 1" travel and a little added height that way. I can always take the rubber off and put on the desired thickness of steel and make it solid in a matter of minutes. I am half way dne making regular adjustable stops.

I was wanting to make them permenit so they will likely be adjustable 1"/ride height

Is it better to use the bump stop attached to the block or should I build it out to hit the leaf spring

bumpstops

I made mine using reciver tubeing and blocked off the bottom with 1/4 steel. drilled a 1-1/8 hole in the plate and welded a 1 inch fine thread nut to it and used a 1 fine forcing bolt we had at work (any cat dealer). bolts to factory location and easy adjustability.

Looks pretty good that's kind of what I was think

So what's better solid or rubber

Heres how I made mine...
2x2 and 3x3 squar tube with 2" w x 1/8" plate
001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Didnt drill the hole for the pin yet till i get the bed back on, but you get the idea.
008.jpg

news update on my test run this weekend on the stops. they worked perfectly. not even a budge with the 30k sled. only the min. 1 inch it has to drop

Back