Quick question on tuning 6.7

holsky

Hey guys got a quick question.

Can you basically tune a 6.7 like you would on a 5.9? Not looking for a Hp monster or anything by that nature. Just wanted to get around 50 hp out of it and its my first 6.7 that I've messed with and didn't know if I can somewhat do what I would to a 5.9 for the 6.7.

Thanks for the help,
Austin

Hey guys got a quick question.

Can you basically tune a 6.7 like you would on a 5.9? Not looking for a Hp monster or anything by that nature. Just wanted to get around 50 hp out of it and its my first 6.7 that I've messed with and didn't know if I can somewhat do what I would to a 5.9 for the 6.7.

Thanks for the help,
Austin

From what I've seen, the stock 6.7 maps look much nicer than the stock 5.9 maps, so for 50hp, I would assume it's just a matter of giving it a little more pulsewidth. I wouldn't increase timing too much from stock on the big end. I think it's already around 18 degrees BTDC stock.

I tune them the same...its the same design...just more attention is needed regarding timing.

But in essence its the same...

Alrighty, I appreciate your guys help!

Another quick question.... on your fuel pressure I noticed that the 6.7 is a lot higher then on the 5.9. So whats a safe mark on the 6.7s? Im running about 23000psi on mine on the high end for my 100hp tune. And the 6.7s are around 25000psi stock. So should I jump it up to around 27000 psi on the high end? Or is that pushing it?

Thanks again,
Austin

Alrighty, I appreciate your guys help!

Another quick question.... on your fuel pressure I noticed that the 6.7 is a lot higher then on the 5.9. So whats a safe mark on the 6.7s? Im running about 23000psi on mine on the high end for my 100hp tune. And the 6.7s are around 25000psi stock. So should I jump it up to around 27000 psi on the high end? Or is that pushing it?

Thanks again,
Austin

When EFI releases support for my truck, my tune won't go above 24,000 psi.

Edit: I just realized you were asking for the 6.7 and not the 5.9. I'm tuning a 6.7 here in a few weeks. Won't be going over 26,500 psi. You'll be fine at 27,000.

Last edited:
leave the fuel map alone, kill the limiters, do some magic on the timing maps... voila.

Well here is what I have so far on main injection, timing, and fuel pressure. What do you guys think?

Also I have another question, how in the world do you adjust the turbo? Its definitely different then the 5.9. LOL

67maintiming.jpg

67FuelPressure.jpg

67MainInjection.jpg

The truck ran really well with the tune I made.

But can anyone chime in and help me figure out how to tune the turbo? The maps are confusing as hell.

The truck ran really well with the tune I made.

But can anyone chime in and help me figure out how to tune the turbo? The maps are confusing as hell.

I would start by logging boost, just to see what it's doing now. That way you'll know if there is anything that really needs to be changed.

I would not push the rail pressure in a 6.7 they have plenty stock, especially for a street tune. I would make sure the rail pressure that you are commanding matches the axis on the duration table, you are commanding 27000 and change but the axis the duration table only goes the stock limit at 26400. I do not have a stock turbo so I can not help you there, but everything i have read is adjust slowly and data log to see what is going on.

I would not push the rail pressure in a 6.7 they have plenty stock, especially for a street tune. I would make sure the rail pressure that you are commanding matches the axis on the duration table, you are commanding 27000 and change but the axis the duration table only goes the stock limit at 26400. I do not have a stock turbo so I can not help you there, but everything i have read is adjust slowly and data log to see what is going on.

Yeah I changed the stock limit to what I was commanding. But the truck will never see that high anyways, he babies it for the most part. Its just a farm truck so it should never see 3100 at full throttle.

OK thanks a lot guys, I may not mess with it since it runs great now. I was just kinda looking for some input for a future reference if I have to do another 6.7.

Thanks,
Austin

Now with deleting the egr, efi live isn't to clear cut with just a disable button like the duramax. So what should you do?

I noticed that there wasn't any parameters that showed turn off egr. So all I did was disable all of the egr check engine light codes. Was that the wrong thing to do?

that is all you can do. have not had any issues as long as you get all the codes turned off.

that is all you can do. have not had any issues as long as you get all the codes turned off.

Ok good! I went through the whole list and turned off anything that mentioned egr and fired the truck up and nothing came on so hopefully I did get all of them.

Thanks a lot for your help! :Cheer:

Back