quietest muffler?

RockinMC

Convience Enthusiest
Anyone know who makes the quietest muffler for a diesel? Cost doesn't really matter, or restriction so much, but it has to fit a 4" exhaust and be quiet as possible. Thanks in advance!

If restriction doesnt matter at all to you then just put as many DPF's as you can fit from down pipe to tail pipe. That baby will purr like a dead kitten :cheer:

You could try a stock 3rd gen muffler? They are 4" and quiet if you aren't worried about restriction.

yup, and they're really not THAT restrictive... I'd put a stock 3rd gen muffler on it in a heartbeat. you can probably get a stock 3rd gen catback or full system for next to nothing from someone who put a 5" on their truck

yup, and they're really not THAT restrictive... I'd put a stock 3rd gen muffler on it in a heartbeat. you can probably get a stock 3rd gen catback or full system for next to nothing from someone who put a 5" on their truck

X2... I'm still utilizing my Stock 3.5" Downpipe and Stock Muffler over 500 rwhp. I may upgrade to a Donaldson Muffler with a FTE Resonator soon. I can't stand any drone or outside noise what so ever...

Another quiet option is the "water heater" muffler. I think it is an ~54" long strait through 4" muffler. Made by Walker or Donaldson?

why is that ??? the cheese-grater look on the inside ???? i cut the brackets off mine and spun it around so the exhaust blows through it instead of hitting the "grating"

I run a 51" donaldson on my 02, its very quiet, no resonance, flows enough for 1200hp, sounds awesome when i get on it, and it was only like 50 or 60 bucks. I did open up the baffle a little bit, but if you leave it stock it will sound stock.
Heres a few pics of it, i think you know which one it is.

Photo0457.jpg

Opened the baffle up
Photo0458.jpg

Under the truck, alot of people say it looks like a water heater got stuck under the truck. haha

Photo0459.jpg

there is no packing in mine.... there was inside the hunk of crap dynomax muffler i had before it though....

this mbrp setup is pretty much a straight pipe, but looks like a muffler

if there's no packing in yours, it's not an MBRP... MBRP is a spin-off company of B&B... MBRP mufflers (like B&B, Magnaflow, Dynamax, and a myriad of other mufflers) are packed...

packed mufflers absorb high frequencies... they produce a mellow tone by clipping the sharp, high pitch frequencies off of the tone...

there's one high pitch sound that I particularly appreciate, and that's the sound of a turbocharger's turbine wheel whistling through the exhaust... packed mufflers murder that...

even a small 1/2" thick Dynomax bullet eats up a ton of turbine.

it's all personal preference, but I hate the soft, bubbly sound of a packed muffler on a turbo diesel... I prefer the helmholtz resonator type found on big trucks

that sound i love as well.... that "brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppp"

i am going to look into it then... i swear when i had a peak in there it just looked like a cheese grater... not like the pic above

hmmmm

IF price is no an issue I would use the S475. Less sound-more power.:st:
TOMMY

I think mine is a donaldson. It sounds really mean when you put your foot in it, but it does take out the drone and with the windows up its pretty quiet.

Back