Race motor build: Did I wash the cylinders?

12VNATION

I want to thank all of you for sharing your experience with those of us still gaining it. I started my newly built motor yesterday and it smoked white something fierce. I ran it for approx. 10 minutes until I started chasing the issue. Ran decent at higher rpm appox. 3k rpm, wouldn't run at low rpm.

Findings: I apparently rotated the pump backwords to find my pump advance. So I was on the wrong side of the pump plunger cam lobe. I believe this means I was way advanced from where I intended to set the timing.

Question: I am not very familiar with "cylinder washing". Being that this was the first start on the engine, will running way to advanced for ten minutes at rpm keep the rings from seating properly. Once the issue was resolved the motor ran good, but after twenty some miles of driving I am getting blow by through the crankcase breather tube. Not alot of blow by but definatley the appearance of smoke coming from the tube.

Thank you all very much for the input, hopefully I don't have junk on my hands.

I would say not, possibly your rings have not seated. I would give it a few extra miles and then observe. I could be wrong. Watch your oil consumption also.

Thanks guys, I am puckered right now, I ruined the last motor I built by leaving a piston cooler nozzle out. I am learning the hard way I guess.

Back