Radiator Choices

SixOhh

EPA unfriendly
My factory Rad just decided to split on the plastic cap.... no biggie, it went about 300k, never had overheating issues.

I have no problem going back with OEM, but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask if there was anything better out there.
also, is it ok to have the plastic end cap (tank) replaced by a rad shop or is there a reliability issue down the road with the replacement process?

what about 2 core or 3 core options? what does the OEM radiator implore?

thanks for any advice, i just want the best for my rig as always...

I pitched with adam aquino on a custom Ron Davis rad, try hitting him up for a quote maybe

P.S. it won’t be cheap

My vote is for mishimoto brand. I don’t personally own one yet, but have helped install a few. Figment was great and quality seemed to be what I expected for the price.

My 91 12v has an aluminum eBay direct replacement radiator for about 3 years now. It was $300 shipped. Fitment was about 90% but it worked. I’ve pulled decent loads with AC blowing and good ol south Texas heat to add. Never once had an issue or had the coolant temp get too high. Great bang for the buck radiator if you have a beater project truck. I’d spend extra money for a name brand if I drove the truck daily.

Go back to factory. They're cheap. I put one in my truck for $200. You're going to pay a small fortune for a "custom" radiator to do what? Your OEM, original radiator worked perfectly fine for 300,000 miles. I'd say that's good service.

I don't believe a shop will replace a plastic tank. The shop I took mine to to be pressure tested wouldn't. And in the end, its not worth it when a new radiator can be had for so cheap.

whoa, they sure are proud of the mishimoto with aluminum side tanks! 750$
v.s. thier plastic tank version of 350$

im considering sticking with OEM, like you said, it did its duty just fine.

Cut the finger that hold the end tanks on , off and weld alum tanks on and be done . I got a thread in the custom fab section where I did mine .

not installed yet. supposed to be a drop in replacement.... we shall see

Not radiator related, but i also purchased a cnc valve cover from D and J. My oem CC breather tubes got britle from engine heat and are slightly leaking. I dont tolerate leaks and this kills 2 birds.

Im not normally all about shiny parts under the hood that dont add power, but i figured between the all aluminum radiator and the billet valve cover it should win some sort of parking lot prize at the local sonic with the high school kids.

I kid, i kid

Back