Raised Head??

BanjoDiesel

I ran across this the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmW2w9qST5w

In this video there is a spacer plate that goes between the cylinder head and the block, used to lower the compression if i am correct. This is the first I have seen this, or at least actually noticed it. Can someone shed some light on this as to how efficient and reliable this setup is. Also, in order to run such a piece would require longer studs and push rods...are those hard to come by?

its a deck plate. common. but it needs alot of work to make it work

It's used to contain the combustion event above the deck, and out of the cylinders, not for compression.

Looks legit, HX35 and an HT3B often make 150psi. Stock pistons and ringing the block in frame makes sense, since he is dropping compression ~ 7 points.

Hmmm, lets cut the fire rings with the pistons still in the block. That makes total sense that no metal will get in there:doh:

it wasnt uncommon many years ago to place a deck plate on the block,and use longer sleeves, so that displacement could be increased, as well as changing the rod angles

It is how they managed 800 cid gas engines prior to commercially available bigger engine blocks and cranks

so dotn be surprised if you just saw a "bigger" motor

it wasnt uncommon many years ago to place a deck plate on the block,and use longer sleeves, so that displacement could be increased, as well as changing the rod angles

It is how they managed 800 cid gas engines prior to commercially available bigger engine blocks and cranks

Do you put the deck plate on first with dowels or something to locate it and then bore the whole shebang so everything lines up?

Do you wind up with 2 head gaskets?

Do you put the deck plate on first with dowels or something to locate it and then bore the whole shebang so everything lines up?

Do you wind up with 2 head gaskets?

Sleeves but I have only seen it done on filled block engines with a sump style oiling system. Plates were not drilled for water jackets.

Last edited:
Wonder if maybe he could put sandwich bags over the DV's.........is there anything here that doesn't look like a train wreck?

Jim

I kind of figured on the train wreck part when he miss-spelled dodge. LMFAO

Sleeves but I have only seen it done on filled block engines with a sump style oiling system. Plates were not drilled for water jackets.

I follow.

If you wanted water in there, could you just do an end-to-end water flow through the cylinder section?

Back