Rancho 9000s on 2wd

Financial Mistake

Has anyone had any success with 9000s on the rear of a lowered 2wd? Truck is on 2 leafs, drop shackles and caltracs, I'm concerned that the rear may be too low and would cause the shock to "bottom out" since they were designed for a stock height 4x4. Most I've been able to dig up while searching is guys buying them, but no word as to how their suspension was setup or if they actually worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran them on my old 2wd truck, ordered from caltrac which were just rebranded ranchos. I just found the closest size and then made up mounts after I had the shocks in hand. Also ran a set of 90/10 front shocks from them, he made me a set of extensions and welded them on the top side off my measurements, ended up cutting them off and welding on the ones from the stock shocks that were already on it. The 90/10's were a good upgrade, many 1.50 sixty foots, some 1.48's.

My rear is the same as yours.
2wd rancho 9000s and caltracs, I bought mine for a 2wd, so might be shorter.
I would hit bump stops before bottoming out. I cut 1" inch off my stops.

I ran them on my old 2wd truck, ordered from caltrac which were just rebranded ranchos. I just found the closest size and then made up mounts after I had the shocks in hand. Also ran a set of 90/10 front shocks from them, he made me a set of extensions and welded them on the top side off my measurements, ended up cutting them off and welding on the ones from the stock shocks that were already on it. The 90/10's were a good upgrade, many 1.50 sixty foots, some 1.48's.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number of the 90/10s would you? If they're rebrands, do possibly know from where?

Last edited:
My rear is the same as yours.
2wd rancho 9000s and caltracs, I bought mine for a 2wd, so might be shorter.
I would hit bump stops before bottoming out. I cut 1" inch off my stops.

Good to know. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number of the 90/10s would you? If they're rebrands, do possibly know from where?

No I just called them and gave the measurements I was looking for and he welded extensions. If doing again I would have just ordered the closest off the shelf, ended up cutting his extensions off and made my own from the old shocks. Also he didn't like the idea of running them on a heavy truck, they worked perfect and are still being used by the guy I sold it to.

Hmm. Well I guess I'll give him a call. Do you remember what measurements you used?

Just based it off the stock shock, I measured for absolute extension without bottoming out, or shocks not being the limiting factor. Reason for adding the extensions, it was easy.

Back