Ratchet shifter shopping

2141pete

Hell I dont know
After seeing alot of guys going to ratchet shifters I am going to buy one I just can't decide wich one I like best. I like the B&M pro ratchet but here are the others I am looking at. I am really leaning towards the TCI lightning stick I just wonder if I will have enough room to keep the Geno's cup holder for coffee LOL
Anybody have pros and cons for any of these? It seems like the TCI is built for the chrysler trannys.
TCI 148200 TCI Lightning Stick Competition Shifters
BM Light Truck MegaShifter - JEGS
Hurst Quarter Stick Shifters - JEGS

Check this one out. I had a b&m in my truck and this style is way superior in design and function.
PHONEPICS212.jpg

I was looking at the Hurst qaurter stick for my truck with the ''pistol style'' grip.

I have always heard good things about the SCS Cheetah shifters, but I have the B&M truck shifter due to $$$$.
I bought mine used but it has worked very well so far.

My B&M mega shift works well. I am sure there are higher quality units, but so far it has been great. I check it annually to verify that the shifter stops line up with the trans stops.

Just make sure to keep in mind if any gate shifters are suggested those I have experience with have alot more travel than a ratchet shifter.

Just make sure to keep in mind if any gate shifters are suggested those I have experience with have alot more travel than a ratchet shifter.

Good point. I do like the mega, cause it is kind of both. The gate shifter is ideal for daily driving, but it has the ratched shifter capability.

If it isn't a DD it might change the feature requirements.

Thanks guys I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to pick. I will probly end up with a B&M pro ratchet or Hurst quarter stick.

Brad that shifter is a 50 pound sweaty box of sexy!!!!!!!!!! I like it!!!!

Good point. I do like the mega, cause it is kind of both. The gate shifter is ideal for daily driving, but it has the ratched shifter capability.

If it isn't a DD it might change the feature requirements.

Yeah, it would be nice to have an option to skip from park to 1 but it's not a huge deal to ratchet through the gears.

Yeah, it would be nice to have an option to skip from park to 1 but it's not a huge deal to ratchet through the gears.

Oh the mega won't let you skip to first. It will let you skip to drive tho.

Dan did you get the truck shifter with the taller base? I have been wondering how it would actually fit. I plan to keep the center console for now but may ditch it later and remount the shifter there.

Dan did you get the truck shifter with the taller base? I have been wondering how it would actually fit. I plan to keep the center console for now but may ditch it later and remount the shifter there.

The mega truck shifter has the taller base.

Friend used it with the factory console in an 01. I pulled my console out, and angled it towards me.

Since yours is a 2wd, it might be perfect. The 4x4 shifter boot is in a bad spot on the 97 and older.

Last edited:
Dan how high does your sit? Would it be comfortable in front of the console with it folded down?

Dan how high does your sit? Would it be comfortable in front of the console with it folded down?

Yes a friend of mine ran one like that. Depends on how long your arms are. He has a phobia of being cramped tho. You would think he was 7 feet tall or something when you see how he puts like 12" extensions on a 10 speed bike and such. LOL

I have a quarter stick and I hate it
My Ol man only uses mega shifters in all his hot rods
I have a mega in my 69 charger and love it
The new short box will get a mega shifter too

Thanks a bunch guys, I really like the TCI lightning stick but I think I would be better off daily driving with the megashifter.

I personally have a thing for my B&M Quick Silver in my car but thats in the car and me. Just throwin another one out there.

Back