Raw Fuel pouring out of exhaust, Smoke Billowing out.

trucken

2004 Cummins, Twin turbo, nozzles, dual CP3. Was running fine when all of a sudden, Coming down the hwy, started stumbling, missing, running like $hit, smoke pouring out from behind truck. Ildes very poorly. Smokey BAD!!
No excess level in Oil. Turbo area looks oily! Its leaking oil from somewhere on passenger side rear part of engine. Maybe thats the smoke, Fuel is drooling out of exhaust pipe.

Turbo seal? Injector (Orig 250,000 miles) with nozzles? Top of eng looks clean and dry... Mess is around lower turbos back side/inside.

Top turbo wheel felt a little loose, just a little.

Whats up? Any Ideas?? :bang

Fuel out of the exhaust say's split nozzle. Could have hurt the turbo in the process maybe?

Might want to pull the injectors and check them out, hopefully you didn't break a valve or have a seat fall out.

Sounds like an injector tip to me, hope it did not damage anything else

Yeah, Thats what I'm hearing. Just plugged the rail. Never got over 23,000 psi. No fuel in oil that I noticed. Just daily driving in and out of traffic.

Seeing some oil mess near turbo on side of block. Hope rod is in place, block intact. Maybe nozzle ate lower turbo seal coming through, Will tear down this afternoon.

i did mine at TS last year on the dyno
2010-05-18104144.jpg

ya but wouldnt there be Fuel in the oil guys? How much oil is it loosing? and where is the oil level?

Are you sure it's fuel coming out of the tailpipe? I'll bet the seal in the turbo is Gone and that's where the white smoke is coming from and the oil is seeping out of the joints from the turbo to dp

I think if it were an injector tip it would be filling the crankcase with fuel. And you probably wouldn't be driving it too long like that

Last edited:
Well we have almost the same problem on our 2.6 CR 03 model. Just pulled the turbo and manifold to check where it was coming from. I have oil or fuel coming out the exhaust ports. Head is fully ported in etc etc. Took vavle cover off in injector caps seem to look fine. guess ill be pulling them in sending them to industrial injection for them to be checked. Oil level is fine hasnt added any to it. Keep it changed every 3 pulls.

Side not just started truck with out the turbo and manifold bolted up. No oil came out of the cylinders. Do you think the turbo could have went south slinging oil back up the manifold. Valve seals appear to be good from what i can see.

Might also look into the cam position sensor, i have seen that make the truck run like crap and blow smoke when crusing down the highway. Was a 45 dollar sensor at napa, cheap place to start looking.

Back